Book Recommendations in General Relativity

In summary, the book Resnick Halliday's "Fundamentals of Physics" does a good job of teaching special relativity. However, some things went over my head because I'm not familiar with the mathematics involved. I recommend a book that has explanations and equations side-by-side, like Collier's "Exploring Black Holes, General Relativity, and Astrophysics"
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have read Special Relativity from Resnick and Halliday's book Fundamentals of Physics. Now I want to read general relativity.

I tried reading Einstein's book "Principles of Relativity", but sad to say, many things went tangentially above my head because I couldn't follow many equations, as they started almost without any context.

It doesn't matter if the book has great lot of equations, because I can deal with them, but it should have a little bit of explanation as well. But I don't want a book that has only explanations and no equations or numerical practice problems. So, basically I want a book that has both explanations and numericals and equations. It may be of any level, like UG, PG and the like.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some questions

To what level would you say you have understood Special Relativity?

What level of mathematics are you comfortable with?

Can you give an example from Einstein's book of something that went over your head?

PeroK said:
Some questions

To what level would you say you have understood Special Relativity?

What level of mathematics are you comfortable with?

Can you give an example from Einstein's book of something that went over your head?
I've understood special relativity to the level that has been described in Resnick Halliday.

Level of mathematics includes single variable calculus, complex numbers, and plane Trigonometry. If you ask for other requirements, I may answer accordingly.

Many equations in that book went above my head. It'll be difficult to site each and every equation now.

Wrichik Basu said:
Level of mathematics includes single variable calculus, complex numbers, and plane Trigonometry. If you ask for other requirements, I may answer accordingly.
How about many variable calculus, partial differential equations, tensor analysis and differential geometry? You need all four for general relativity, and most books on GR assume that you already know the first two.

Anyway, if you don't already know this math, I recommend Collier
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JRJ1VK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For that purpose, Gron recommended above is also good.

Wrichik Basu said:
I've understood special relativity to the level that has been described in Resnick Halliday.

Many equations in that book went above my head. It'll be difficult to site each and every equation now.

Of course they did. With high-school mathematics you cannot even read and understand a proper text on classical mechanics (which directly assumes familiarity with multi-variable calculus), let alone other more advanced theories of physics.

Demystifier said:
How about many variable calculus, partial differential equations, tensor analysis and differential geometry? You need all four for general relativity, and most books on GR assume that you already know the first two.

Anyway, if you don't already know this math, I recommend Collier
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JRJ1VK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For that purpose, Gron recommended above is also good.
Sorry for the late reply. I'm yet to start with all four you have mentioned. :frown::cry:

Related to Book Recommendations in General Relativity

1. What is the purpose of "Book Recommendations in General Relativity?"

The purpose of "Book Recommendations in General Relativity" is to provide a list of recommended books for individuals interested in learning about the theory of General Relativity. These recommendations are based on the expertise and experience of scientists and researchers in the field.

2. How were the books for "Book Recommendations in General Relativity" selected?

The books for "Book Recommendations in General Relativity" were selected based on a combination of factors, including their relevance to the topic, their accuracy and clarity of information, and their overall impact and influence in the field of General Relativity.

3. Are the recommended books suitable for beginners or experts in General Relativity?

The recommended books for "Book Recommendations in General Relativity" are suitable for both beginners and experts in the field. The list includes a range of books that cater to different levels of understanding, from introductory texts for beginners to more advanced and specialized books for experts.

4. Can I find these recommended books in any language other than English?

While the recommended books for "Book Recommendations in General Relativity" are primarily in English, many of them have been translated into other languages. It is recommended to check with the individual publishers or bookstores for availability in different languages.

5. Can I find these recommended books in digital or e-book format?

Most of the recommended books for "Book Recommendations in General Relativity" are available in digital or e-book format. However, some older or more specialized books may only be available in print. It is recommended to check with the individual publishers or bookstores for availability in different formats.