Book Research RE Spin Wave technology: Pseudoscience or just incomplete?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of spin wave technology in a science fiction story and the debate on its believability and feasibility. The OP is interested in using this theory for power generation and propulsion in his story and is seeking opinions and information on the topic. The use of spin waves for space travel and quantum computing is also discussed. The conversation includes links to a website and forum posts for further research.
don.engel@hines.com
I am researching different technologies to fit into a science fiction story that I have been working on. While Sci-fi usually takes liberties with science in the name of good storytelling, I think it is important to provide as much believability as possible, and this is why I am coming to these forums.

Specifically, the problems I am having involve power generation and propulsion. In looking around, I came across a theory called "spin wave technology" that would solve some feasibility issues in my story. While the spin wave theory is currently a theory only, I am wondering what others who might have looked into it think about it. From reading about it, it doesn't seem totally implausible, but on the other hand most things that seem to good...you know the rest.

Answers like "It's Bunk" or, "Wow, it will save the world" aren't really useful. I am more interested in the FEASIBILITY behind the claims made about spin wave tech.

Is "spin wave technology" a valid pursuit that may or may not yield fruit one day, or is it simply well-disguised psuedo science?

In another post, User Integral has posted his opinion, but I'd be interested in messages that might say WHY they feel the way they do one way or another. :wink:

for the website concerning the research, you can go to the Vasant Corporation.

Thanks!

Don.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=29382 is an extension of what you are asking. We need science fictions writer to boost the imaginations of such serious folk who are so focused on the issues.

Follow the links and you will see how the Vasant Corporation can be used. And I don't even work for them:)

How will this change http://wc0.worldcrossing.com/WebX?14@15.9hE8cYxncbb.5@.1dde6f77

Using Negative energy as boosters for space travel( see Bose Nova and/or Tipping Light Cones )

This http://wc0.worldcrossing.com/WebX?126@52.sl55cwENchq.0@.1dde3fdf will pretty well answer a lot of interestng question in this regard.

Fundamentals of Spin (try it)?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarification and uses of Spin Waves for Storyline

Thanks for writing, Sol2!

I guess I should add the following information, it might make it easier to discuss the validity/believability of this theory for my particular application:

1) From a propulsion standpoint, the proposed "spin waves" electro-gravitational/electro-magnetic effect would be used to "Lighten the load" of a man-sized to twice-man sized unit. In addition, the effects would be used to perform assisted "jumping" and rudimentary short distance flight.

2) From a power standpoint, the effects would be used to generate power from the surrounding environment using a small device capable of power output without refuelling. What effects on the surrounding matter would be expected based on the spin wave theory?

3) Some elements of the story regard using electro-gravity effects to accelerate materials for use as projectile weaponry - sort of like a quantum-mechanical rail gun.

4) Using quantum computing to solve VERY complicated trajectory/space-time positioning equations in near real-time.

Discuss...Talk amongst yourselves!

Don,

The only way I could see using the Vasant Corporation, was to identify flunctuations of negative energy. This would help determine the travel of the ship, recognizing the fluctuations in the space time fabric, as currents for which this ship could use?

http://www.physics.hku.hk/~tboyce/sf/topics/wormhole/wormimages/worm4.jpg

I am struggling to identify how this would be applied using current technology, and being consistent is very important with the theoretical.

I wanted to give you this http://wc0.worldcrossing.com/WebX?14@34.OqDNcIjMcqb.0@.1dde934e/80 as well.

Don't forget to turn on your speakers :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is spin wave technology?

Spin wave technology is a proposed method for transmitting and processing information using spin waves, which are a type of collective excitation in the spin of electrons in a material. It is often compared to existing technologies such as electronics and photonics.

2. Is spin wave technology considered pseudoscience?

Spin wave technology is not considered pseudoscience in the traditional sense, as it is based on scientific principles and has been studied by researchers in various fields. However, some claims and applications of spin wave technology may be considered pseudoscientific until they are supported by sufficient evidence and replicated by independent researchers.

3. What are the potential applications of spin wave technology?

Some potential applications of spin wave technology include data storage, communication, and computation. It has also been proposed as a potential alternative to traditional electronics, as it has the potential to operate at higher frequencies and with lower energy consumption.

4. What evidence supports the effectiveness of spin wave technology?

The effectiveness of spin wave technology is still being researched and debated. While some studies have shown promising results in terms of its potential capabilities, more research is needed to fully understand its limitations and potential for practical use.

5. What are the limitations of spin wave technology?

Some current limitations of spin wave technology include the difficulty in controlling and manipulating spin waves, as well as the challenges in integrating it with existing technologies. Additionally, there is still much to be learned about the potential long-term effects and safety of using spin wave technology.