Books for Statistical Mechanics self study?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding an introduction to statistical mechanics for self-study. The individual prefers a more approachable and less rigorous text with answers to problems. Some recommended options include Leonard Susskind's lectures on YouTube, a formal text by David Chandler, Kardar at the graduate level, Reichl, Pathria (now Beale and Pathria), and textbooks by Zemansky, Sears and Salinger, and Becker.
jcw0616
Hi all,

I consider myself a physics self-studier (although I've taken the introductory physics series and more in college), and I'm looking for an introduction to statistical mechanics. My thermal physics class used Schroeder's "Thermal Physics" text, which touches slightly on stat-mech at the end of the book, but I'm looking for further education on the topic.

Admittedly, I prefer a somewhat "hand-holdy" book with less-than-intense rigor. Do any of you know of a text that fits this description?

EDIT: A book with answers to any problems is preferred, as I am a self-studier.

Thanks in advance!
Jordan

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend to take a look at Leonard Susskind's lectures on YouTube. For a textbook, I have a recommendation for a formal text that is quite good and well known: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123821886/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Although formal and talking from personal experience, you can follow the text provided you spend a fair effort.

Back when I was undergraduate Kittel was popular. I preferred Reif, in the 1980's. At the graduate level, I like Pathria, now Beale and Pathria. Another good book on the graduate level is one by Kerson Huang. I did not like Reichl as it seemed like a grab-bag of disconnected topics.
I think parts of Zemansky, and Sears and Salinger or the old book by Becker, were good while I was studying for qualifying exams but I have not seen them used as a textbook lately

Likes Telemachus

What is Statistical Mechanics?

Statistical Mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of a large number of particles in a system. It aims to explain the macroscopic properties of matter in terms of the microscopic behavior of its constituent particles.

Why is self study important for learning Statistical Mechanics?

Self study allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on specific topics that they may find challenging. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in understanding the complex concepts of Statistical Mechanics.

What are some good books for self studying Statistical Mechanics?

Some popular books for self studying Statistical Mechanics include "Statistical Mechanics: A Set of Lectures" by Richard P. Feynman, "Statistical Mechanics" by Kerson Huang, and "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer.

How should I approach studying Statistical Mechanics from a book?

It is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics before delving into Statistical Mechanics. It is also helpful to work through the exercises and problems in the book to reinforce understanding and develop problem-solving skills.

Are there any online resources that can supplement my self study of Statistical Mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations that can supplement your self study of Statistical Mechanics. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.