Books on mathematical modeling

In summary, the conversation is about a request for English-language books on mathematical modeling, specifically a general theory. The person asking the question mentions that they are familiar with Russian books on the topic and would like to expand their knowledge in English. Another person suggests checking if there are English translations of the Russian books mentioned. The conversation then shifts to discussing the definition of mathematical modeling and a recommendation is made for a book by Mark M. Meerschaert. One person confirms that the book is good and another person mentions having read some chapters and finding it helpful.
levadny
Hello for All!
Please recommend English-language books on mathematical modeling. Interested in a general theory. In Russian I know these books, but I would like to get acquainted with English.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could cite the authors of the Russian books and we could check if there's English translations.

When you say mathematical modeling do you mean modeling a physical system like numerically solving the differential equations of motion of the system or something else?

Here's one I used in a computational physics course:

http://physics.clarku.edu/sip/

It's available on amazon.com

Yes, I mean the simulation of physical processes of varying complexity.
Well, general information about the classification of mathematical models, if there is one.

For example.
I have Russian-language book "Introdution in math modeling" of P.V. Trusov. It contains classification of math model (numeric, abstract, etc) and common stage of prepare math model.

We have equal book in English-language?

levadny said:
Hello for All!
Please recommend English-language books on mathematical modeling. Interested in a general theory. In Russian I know these books, but I would like to get acquainted with English.

I think that https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123869129/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Mark M. Meerschaert should do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes levadny
QuantumQuest said:
I think that Mathematical Modeling by Mark M. Meerschaert should do fine.
Yes. It's good book. Anybody read this book?

levadny said:
Yes. It's good book. Anybody read this book?

I have read partially some chapters I needed (Computational Methods for Optimization and Dynamic Models) and I found it very good.

Likes levadny

1. What is mathematical modeling and why is it important?

Mathematical modeling is the process of creating a simplified representation of a real-world system or phenomenon using mathematical equations and formulas. It is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, make informed decisions, and solve real-world problems.

2. What are the key components of a mathematical model?

The key components of a mathematical model include variables, parameters, assumptions, and equations. Variables are the quantities that are being studied and can change over time. Parameters are constant values that affect the behavior of the variables. Assumptions are simplifications of the real-world system. Equations are used to describe the relationships between the variables and parameters.

3. What types of mathematical models are commonly used?

There are various types of mathematical models used in different fields, including linear models, nonlinear models, statistical models, and computational models. Linear models assume a linear relationship between variables, while nonlinear models allow for more complex relationships. Statistical models use data to estimate parameters and make predictions. Computational models use computer simulations to model complex systems.

4. What are the steps involved in creating a mathematical model?

The steps involved in creating a mathematical model include identifying the problem or system to be modeled, defining the variables and parameters, formulating assumptions, choosing appropriate equations, calibrating and validating the model, and interpreting and communicating the results. It is an iterative process that involves refining and improving the model based on new data and feedback.

5. What are some common challenges in mathematical modeling?

Some common challenges in mathematical modeling include obtaining accurate and reliable data, selecting appropriate equations and assumptions, dealing with complex and nonlinear systems, and validating the model. It is also important to consider the limitations and uncertainties of the model and to communicate the results effectively to stakeholders.