Books on solving DE with infinite series?

In summary, the conversation discusses books that explain how to solve differential equations using infinite series. The speakers mention specific books that have chapters on this subject, such as Boyce and Diprima and Morse and Feshbach. However, the original speaker is looking for a compilation that shows which differential equations can be solved with infinite series, specifically those important for physics.
jonjacson
Hi folks,

I was wondering if there are books that explain how to solve differential equations using infinite series. I know it is possible to do it since Poincaré used that method.

Do you know which ones are the best?

I find books on infinite series but they talk just about series, convergence etc but not specifically about solving differential equations, maybe there is a chapter but nothing else.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boyce and Diprima has a couple of chapters on it, so does Morse and Feshbach. Pretty much every DiffEQ text I have ever seen has at least a chapter on that subject.

Dr Transport said:
Boyce and Diprima has a couple of chapters on it, so does Morse and Feshbach. Pretty much every DiffEQ text I have ever seen has at least a chapter on that subject.

Thanks for those specific names.

Yes, there are chapters on this but I would like to have a kind of compilation showing which differential equations could be solved with every infinite series. At least the most important for physics.

1. What are differential equations and why are they important?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe relationships between a function and its derivatives. They are important because they are used to model a wide range of natural phenomena and are essential in many branches of science and engineering.

2. What are infinite series and how do they relate to solving differential equations?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. In solving differential equations, infinite series are used to approximate the solution to a differential equation by breaking it down into a sum of simpler functions.

3. Can any differential equation be solved using infinite series?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using infinite series. Only linear differential equations with constant coefficients can be solved using infinite series.

4. What are some common methods for solving differential equations with infinite series?

Some common methods for solving differential equations with infinite series include the method of Frobenius, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the method of variation of parameters.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using infinite series in solving differential equations?

One limitation of using infinite series is that they can only approximate the solution to a differential equation and not provide an exact solution. Another challenge is determining the convergence of the series, as not all series converge to a finite value.