Books on the Thickness and Material of Space Suits

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of books that discuss the thickness and material of space suits. It is suggested to try looking on the NASA website or conducting a Google search with specific search terms. One recommended book is "US Space suits" 2nd edition by Thomas and McMann. Other suggestions include researching Professor Dava Newman at MIT and watching Adam Savage's YouTube channel. It is also mentioned that space suits typically have multiple thin layers rather than one thick layer, with an overall thickness of 5mm to 5cm.
emilmammadzada
TL;DR Summary
Books on the Thickness and Material of Space Suits
Dear Experts, are there any books available that discuss the thickness and material of space suits?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try looking around the NASA website? Or maybe just try a Google search with good search terms...?

Likes emilmammadzada
berkeman said:
Did you try looking around the NASA website? Or maybe just try a Google search with good search terms...?
Dear Expert , I couldn't find part on the NASA website about this issue. I did a bit of a Google search, but I wanted to ask the experts here in order to access more accurate data.

I can recommend "US Space suits" 2. ed, by Thomas and McMann, for its detailed description of most western space suits, both historical and future prototypes, but since my copy if from 2006 it may not mention some of the lastest suits, e.g. the SpaceX suit. Also, as far as I can recall it does not as such have a reference section with "all the data", and if that is correct you'd pretty much have to read through all the sections interest to get the data.

Perhaps if you limit your search to specific suits (e.g. like the STS EVA suits), then you might have better luck finding data online.

Likes russ_watters and emilmammadzada
You might also research Prof Dava Newman at MIT. She has long been developing novel spacesuit ideas. Pretty interesting.

Likes emilmammadzada
emilmammadzada said:
I did a bit of a Google search
Try a Google search with this: Design of Spacesuits -- it seemed to give me lots of useful hits that may help you. :smile:

Likes emilmammadzada
Adam Savage is a fan of space suits, he has a youtube channel, lots of close up shots

*Im involved in designing T - Suits for the ETERNITY Starship Project ... Space suits tend to have a dozen or so thin layers rather than one thick one. The layers serve different purposes.... thickness overall 5mm to 5cm

Likes emilmammadzada

1. What is the purpose of books on the thickness and material of space suits?

Books on the thickness and material of space suits serve as a resource for understanding the design and construction of space suits. They provide information on the materials used, their properties, and the thickness required to protect astronauts in the harsh environment of space.

2. How do the materials used in space suits differ from those used in regular clothing?

The materials used in space suits are specifically chosen for their ability to withstand extreme temperatures, radiation, and micrometeoroids. They are also designed to be lightweight and flexible to allow for ease of movement in space.

3. Are there different types of space suits that require different thickness and materials?

Yes, there are different types of space suits for different purposes, such as extravehicular activity (EVA) suits for spacewalks and intravehicular activity (IVA) suits for inside the spacecraft. Each type may have different requirements for thickness and materials depending on the specific needs and conditions.

4. How do scientists determine the appropriate thickness and materials for space suits?

Scientists use a combination of testing and simulation to determine the appropriate thickness and materials for space suits. They conduct experiments to measure the effects of different environments on the materials and use computer models to simulate the conditions in space.

5. Are there any advancements in space suit materials currently being researched?

Yes, there are ongoing research and development efforts to improve space suit materials, such as incorporating nanotechnology and new types of fabrics. These advancements aim to make space suits more durable, lightweight, and protective for future missions.