Frequency of boundary layer instability

In summary, this equation gives information on the instability frequencies of a boundary layer. It depends on the free-stream and boundary conditions and can be different for different types of instability.
shreddinglicks
I've been searching the net but can not find any freely available literature. Can someone give me a quick lesson on boundary layer instability and its frequencies? I have an equation that claims to scale the instability frequency by:

F = U/2*delta

U is leading edge velocity
delta is layer thickness

What information does this give me? Does this tell me the likelihood of transition from laminar to turbulence?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is highly variable and depends on the free-stream and boundary conditions. In many cases, multiple unstable waves coexist associated with different unstable modes, and their frequencies can be very different. So what's the context here?

boneh3ad said:
This is highly variable and depends on the free-stream and boundary conditions. In many cases, multiple unstable waves coexist associated with different unstable modes, and their frequencies can be very different. So what's the context here?
In this case I am using the script mentioned from my other post to obtain properties at the leading edge of a flat plate and cone both at 0 angle of attack. The boundary layer was calculated assuming a constant temperature wall.

shreddinglicks said:
In this case I am using the script mentioned from my other post to obtain properties at the leading edge of a flat plate and cone both at 0 angle of attack. The boundary layer was calculated assuming a constant temperature wall.

So you are talking about hypersonic/hypervelocity, then?

For hypersonic boundary layers, the estimator ##f\approx u_e/(2\delta)## works for a certain class of instability wherein the boundary layer acts as an acoustic wave guide. Other classes of instability would have different scaling.

The frequency alone does not tell you anything about the likelihood of transition.

boneh3ad said:
So you are talking about hypersonic/hypervelocity, then?

For hypersonic boundary layers, the estimator ##f\approx u_e/(2\delta)## works for a certain class of instability wherein the boundary layer acts as an acoustic wave guide. Other classes of instability would have different scaling.

The frequency alone does not tell you anything about the likelihood of transition.
Yes, hypersonic flow. What does it tell me then? I notice my plate has a larger boundary thickness across the length but the cone has a larger frequency. What can I conclude from this?

shreddinglicks said:
Yes, hypersonic flow. What does it tell me then? I notice my plate has a larger boundary thickness across the length but the cone has a larger frequency. What can I conclude from this?

Like I said before, essentially nothing. You can conclude that cones have thinner boundary layers for a given size than flat plates, but we knew this already. They're mathematically related by the Mangler transformation.

Also, like I said, the boundary layer doesn't have a characteristic unstable frequency. It has many.

boneh3ad said:
Like I said before, essentially nothing. You can conclude that cones have thinner boundary layers for a given size than flat plates, but we knew this already. They're mathematically related by the Mangler transformation.

Also, like I said, the boundary layer doesn't have a characteristic unstable frequency. It has many.
I wonder why I was given this equation. Thanks for taking the time responding to me.

shreddinglicks said:
I wonder why I was given this equation. Thanks for taking the time responding to me.

I couldn't tell you. It could have been from someone with only a passing familiarity with high-speed boundary-layer transition (i.e. most people in the high-speed aerodynamics community).

Ultimately, the boundary-layer stability problem can be viewed as a very complex nonlinear dynamic system with a transfer function between the leading edge and some downstream point. It selectively amplifies and attenuates frequencies across the spectrum from 0 to Kolmogorov. If you feed it (via free-stream disturbances interacting with the surface) an input spectrum, the output at a given point is determined by that transfer function that comes out of the stability problem. In many cases, there are multiple separate bands of unstable (amplified) waves, not just one.

This is sounding technical enough at this point that I have to imagine this is either school work or a task assigned to you by a supervisor of some kind.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is boundary layer instability?

Boundary layer instability refers to the tendency of a fluid layer near a solid boundary to become turbulent due to the presence of shear forces. This can occur in both air and water, and is an important phenomenon in fluid dynamics.

2. What causes boundary layer instability?

Boundary layer instability is caused by the interaction of the fluid with the solid boundary. As the fluid moves along the boundary, it experiences shear forces which can cause the flow to become unstable and transition from laminar to turbulent.

3. How is the frequency of boundary layer instability measured?

The frequency of boundary layer instability is typically measured using a technique called hot-wire anemometry. This involves placing a thin wire in the flow and measuring the fluctuations in temperature caused by the turbulence. The frequency of these fluctuations can then be used to determine the frequency of the instability.

4. What are the practical applications of studying boundary layer instability?

Understanding boundary layer instability is important in many fields, including aerodynamics, meteorology, and oceanography. It can help improve the design of aircraft and ships, and also has implications for weather forecasting and climate modeling.

5. Can boundary layer instability be controlled or mitigated?

Yes, boundary layer instability can be controlled or mitigated through various techniques such as using surface roughness, suction, or blowing. These methods can alter the flow near the boundary and reduce the effects of shear forces, leading to a more stable flow.