Boolean algebra absorption law

In summary, the Absorptive Law allows for the reduction of a complicated expression to a simpler one by absorbing like terms.
Lilia

Homework Statement

i'm viewing an example written in class. it looks like this:

f(x1, x2, x3, x4) = [(not x1) * x2 * x4] ∨ [x2 * x3 * x4]

what should be function after applying absorption law?

Homework Equations

i know how another option called "gluing" works:

[x1 * x2 * x3] ∨ [(not x1) * x2 * x3] = x2 * x3

The Attempt at a Solution

our teacher wrote f(x1, x2, x3, x4) = x2 * x3 * x4 but I'm having a hard time to understand why

Physics news on Phys.org
Lilia said:

Homework Statement

i'm viewing an example written in class. it looks like this:

f(x1, x2, x3, x4) = [(not x1) * x2 * x4] ∨ [x2 * x3 * x4]

what should be function after applying absorption law?

Homework Equations

i know how another option called "gluing" works:

[x1 * x2 * x3] ∨ [(not x1) * x2 * x3] = x2 * x3

The Attempt at a Solution

our teacher wrote f(x1, x2, x3, x4) = x2 * x3 * x4 but I'm having a hard time to understand why

From: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/boolean/bool_6.html
  • Absorptive Law – This law enables a reduction in a complicated expression to a simpler one by absorbing like terms.
    • A + (A.B) = A (OR Absorption Law)
    • A(A + B) = A (AND Absorption Law)
Are you sure you typed the question right? The form of your equation doesn't seem to match the OR form of the Absorptive Law...

Last edited:
now i see.

we were writing quine-maccluskey algorithm example, and we applied this law because in coverage matrix (quine matrix) there was no column with single 1.

this is the matrix:
-------------------------------------------------
implicant | 0111 | 1100 | 1110 | 1111 |
01-1 ...|...1...|...|...|...|
-111 ...|...1...|...|...|...1...|
111- ...|...|...|...1...|...1...|
--00 ...|...|...1...|...|...|
1--0 ...|...|...1...|...1...|...|
first and second row is my question. but now i think i get it.

since second row covers two 1s, and the first row - one 1, that's why it's called absorption
in the same manner 5th absorbs the 4th one, and the result is [x1 * (not x4)] (as our teacher wrote)

am i right?

Last edited:

Question 1: What is the Boolean algebra absorption law?

The Boolean algebra absorption law is a rule that states that when a Boolean expression is ANDed with one of its terms, the result is equal to the term. This means that if you have an expression like A AND (A OR B), the result is simply A. This is known as the first absorption law.

Question 2: What is the second absorption law in Boolean algebra?

The second absorption law states that when a Boolean expression is ORed with one of its terms, the result is equal to the term. This means that if you have an expression like A OR (A AND B), the result is simply A. This is known as the second absorption law.

Question 3: How is the Boolean algebra absorption law used in simplifying expressions?

The absorption law is used in simplifying Boolean expressions by reducing them to their simplest form. By applying the absorption law, you can eliminate redundant terms and reduce the complexity of the expression.

Question 4: What is the relationship between the absorption law and the distributive law in Boolean algebra?

The absorption law and the distributive law are complementary laws in Boolean algebra. While the absorption law states that a term can be absorbed by an AND or OR operation with itself, the distributive law states that a term can be distributed across an AND or OR operation over a sum or product of terms.

Question 5: Can the absorption law be applied to more than two terms in a Boolean expression?

Yes, the absorption law can be applied to more than two terms in a Boolean expression. For example, in the expression A AND (B OR C OR D), the absorption law can be applied repeatedly to eliminate all the redundant terms and simplify the expression to just A.