Boolean Algebra Proof Statement

In summary, NascentOoxygen's method is to replace each AND with OR and then to simplify the equation.
cyenko

Homework Statement

Prove the identity of the following Boolean equation using algebraic manipulation:
AD' + A'B + C'D + B'C = (A' + B' + C' + D')(A + B + C + D)

Homework Equations

DeMorgan's Theorem: (A + B)' = A'B'

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried simplifying the equation to the following:
AD' + A'B + C'D + B'C = A'D + A'B + C'D+ B'C + (A'C + A'D + B'A + B'D + C'A + C'B + D'B + D'C)

However, this doesn't appear to be going anywhere. What kills me is the fact that I have no way of knowing whether or not the path I'm following will turn out or not.

My TA mentioned that the left hand side should be modified with OR statements (+), however I'm not sure where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. I can easily see w/ a Kmap that the statement is true, but like you, I draw a blank when trying to prove it algebraically. DeMorgan doesn't seem to help and I don't know what else to try. There's probably something simple that we're both forgetting or overlooking.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who would have difficulty solving this proof. The problem is still open, for anyone who is willing to help me!

Bumping for help.

Well, from the K-map they are both equal to (ABCD + A'B'C'D)', which we know immediately anyway from applying DeMorgan a couple of times to the RHS.

The K-map shows us there is plenty of overlap in the RHS, so we could try to unravel that...
(A'+B'+C'+D')(A+B+C+D) = A'B + A'C + A'D + B'A + B'C + B'D + C'A + C'B + C'D + D'A + D'B + D'C

What we might do is show that (for example) B'A is covered by AD' + C'D + B'C. So:
AD' + C'D + B'C
= AD' + AB'D' + C'D + AB'C'D + B'C + AB'CD
= AD' + C'D + B'C + AB'(D' + C'D + CD)
= AD' + C'D + B'C + AB'(D'+D)
= AD' + C'D + B'C + AB'

And we can similarly conjure the other terms required out of the LHS. But it's a long, long way round to do them all explicitly; there probably is a better method. Perhaps you could do this with some kind of general analysis of PQ'.

cyenko said:

Homework Statement

Prove the identity of the following Boolean equation using algebraic manipulation:
AD' + A'B + C'D + B'C = (A' + B' + C' + D')(A + B + C + D)
Focus on the left side, AD' + A'B + C'D + B'C

♦ Replace each AND with OR, you'll need to bring in some brackets

♦ Replace each red OR with AND

♦ Remove the brackets (i.e., "multiply it out") and tidy up, and you'll be left with the OR of two simple terms

You should see your way to be able to finish now. :wink:

NascentOxygen said:

♦ Remove the brackets (i.e., "multiply it out") and tidy up, and you'll be left with the OR of two simple terms

I'm confused. If you have the term

A AND NOT B

How, in terms of just the variables A and B, can you create an equivalent with no AND but any number of ORs ?

NascentOxygen said:

Neat. I like it, 6 lines or so.

phinds said:
I'm confused. If you have the term

A AND NOT B

How, in terms of just the variables A and B, can you create an equivalent with no AND but any number of ORs ?

by using DeMorgan's rule: AB' = (A'+B)'
A and not-B = not-(not-A or B)

Last edited:
Joffan said:
Neat. I like it, 6 lines or so.

by using DeMorgan's rule: AB' = (A'+B)'
A and not-B = not-(not-A or B)

well, yeah, but there is then a NOT over the whole thing, so you haven't quite separated out the terms individually. That's what I meant. As I said in my original post, I don't see how DeMorgan helps, but apparently I'm missing something.

There is indeed a NOT over the whole thing - but no ANDs, which is all that was promised. :wink:

Here's the first step of NascentOxygen's method, for enlightenment:
AD' + A'B + C'D + B'C = (A' + D)' + (A + B')' + (B + C')' + (C + D')'

1. What is a Boolean Algebra Proof Statement?

A Boolean Algebra Proof Statement is a logical expression that is used to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem in Boolean algebra. It involves manipulating Boolean variables and logical operators to prove that a statement is always true or always false.

2. What is the purpose of a Boolean Algebra Proof Statement?

The purpose of a Boolean Algebra Proof Statement is to provide a formal and rigorous method for proving the validity of statements and theorems in Boolean algebra. It helps to ensure that logical arguments are sound and can be used to solve complex problems in computer science and mathematics.

3. What are the basic rules of Boolean Algebra?

The basic rules of Boolean Algebra include the commutative, associative, and distributive laws, as well as the laws of double negation, idempotence, and absorption. These rules govern how Boolean variables and logical operators can be manipulated to simplify expressions and prove statements.

4. How is a Boolean Algebra Proof Statement written?

A Boolean Algebra Proof Statement is typically written in the form of an equation, with the statement to be proven on one side and a series of logical steps on the other side. The steps involve applying the basic rules of Boolean Algebra to manipulate the expression until it is reduced to a simple form that proves the statement.

5. What are some real-world applications of Boolean Algebra Proof Statements?

Boolean Algebra Proof Statements have many practical applications in computer science, such as in the design of digital circuits and computer algorithms. They are also used in fields like artificial intelligence, database design, and cryptography. In addition, they can be used to solve problems in mathematics and logic, and can even be applied to everyday decision-making and problem-solving.