Boolean Algebra Simplification

In summary, the conversation discusses optimizing the equation for minimal input-output delay with 3-input NAND gates. The equation is simplified using De Morgan's laws and K-maps, resulting in a solution of 8 gates, with a maximum of 4 gates in series. However, another solution is proposed using 9 gates and a maximum of 4 gates in series, which may have lesser delay. The conversation also mentions the use of inverters and the notation for NAND gates.
valastar

Homework Statement

Hey PF!

I'm supposed to "Optimize the equation for minimal input-output delay with 3-input NAND gates of 1.8ns delay each." It'll become much clearer at my attempt at a solution, I hope.

Homework Equations

De Morgan's laws, K-maps, the sort...

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is part of a homework assignment I've been struggling with for a while now. We were given a word problem and had to simplify it using three input NAND gates.

I've simplified the actual word problem to :

F(ABCD)= AB + CD + BD + BC + AD + AC

As you can see this doesn't use any NAND gates, so I simplified it further to:

(A NAND B) NAND (A NAND C) NAND (A NAND D) NAND (B NAND C) NAND (B NAND D) NAND (C NAND D)

Sorry for typing out the NANDS, I thought it would be easier to see than those pesky ' marks.

How do I go about simplifying this further to 3 INPUT NANDS?

I appreciate any guidance!

Physics news on Phys.org
valastar said:
I've simplified the actual word problem to :

So it looks like the output will be HIGH if any two (or more) inputs are HIGH?

Yes, that is correct.

Were you given the answer? I get two different implementations, each using 8 gates.

One uses three as inverters, and ends up with a maximum of 4 gates in series.
The other uses four as inverters, but has a maximum of 3 gates in series.

The latter would have least delay. I have no idea whether there is any better implementation, though.

Wow 8 gates! Is that inclusive or exclusive of the inverters that you used?

The solution has not been given out yet, so I'm still working on it.

I was able to demorgan the solution down to:

-(-a*-b*-c)*-(-a*-c*-d)*-(-a*-b*-d)*-(-b*-c*-d)

Is that the minimized equation that you used?

I mapped it using a total of 9 gates, of which 3 were inverters. The maximum gate delay was 4 though, so the idea of a solution with a lesser delay seems attractive.

Last edited:
valastar said:
I was able to demorgan the solution down to:

-(-a&&-b&&-c)&&-(-a&&-c&&-d)&&-(-a&&-b&&-d)&&-(-b&&-c&&-d)
Is this a notation that you invented? I thought there were enough notations already...
= A•(B+C) + D•(A+B) + C•(B+D)

Replace each red + with a NAND (and inverters), and finally implement the three black + with a NAND.

I haven't checked it, so no guarantees.

NascentOxygen said:
I haven't checked it, so no guarantees.
Now, I have checked it. I discovered I blundered.

I can't implement it in fewer gates than you managed. So it's 9, with up to 4 in series.

Related to Boolean Algebra Simplification

What is Boolean Algebra Simplification?

Boolean Algebra Simplification is a method used to simplify Boolean expressions, which are logical statements made up of variables, constants (0 or 1), and logical operators (AND, OR, and NOT). It follows a set of rules to reduce the expression to its simplest form, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

What are the rules for simplifying Boolean expressions?

The rules for simplifying Boolean expressions are called the laws of Boolean Algebra. These include the commutative law, associative law, distributive law, identity law, complement law, and absorption law. These rules dictate how the variables and operators can be rearranged and combined to simplify the expression.

Why is Boolean Algebra Simplification important?

Boolean Algebra Simplification is important because it allows for easier analysis and manipulation of logical statements. It is also used in digital logic design, computer programming, and circuit design. By simplifying Boolean expressions, we can reduce the complexity of a problem and arrive at a more efficient solution.

How do I simplify a Boolean expression?

To simplify a Boolean expression, you must follow the laws of Boolean Algebra. The steps for simplification include combining like terms, applying the commutative and associative laws, distributing terms, and using the identity and complement laws. The goal is to reduce the expression to its simplest form by eliminating redundant or unnecessary terms.

What are some common mistakes when simplifying Boolean expressions?

One common mistake when simplifying Boolean expressions is forgetting to apply the distributive law. This can lead to incorrect simplifications and incorrect solutions. Another mistake is not using parentheses correctly, which can change the order of operations and result in an incorrect answer. It is important to carefully follow the rules of Boolean Algebra and check your work to avoid these mistakes.