Bose Einstein condensates and GR?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between macroscopic entangled systems like Bose-Einstein condensates and the laws of quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to gravity and time symmetry. The possibility of using these systems to better understand the relationship between general relativity and quantum field theory is also mentioned. The conversation also brings up the idea of using "thought experiments" to explore this relationship.
Digitalism
If time is constantly moving the direction of increasing entropy and quantum systems are time symetric then how do macropscopic entanlged systems such as bose-einstein condensates relate temporally to themselves and larger systems of which they might be subsets? Because BECs are large enough to be be affected by GR and yet obey the laws of quantum mechanics what kinds of observations/experiments could be utilized to take advantage of their features in order to better understand the relationship between GR and QFT?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "relate temporally to themselve and larger systems [...]"?

Because BECs are large enough to be be affected by GR
Every particle is affected by gravity, and every particle obeys the laws of quantum mechanics.

It is not an issue to combine weak gravitational fields with quantum mechanics. Experimentally, this can be done with neutrons (1) and molecules (I think http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v7/n5/full/nnano.2012.34.html?WT.ec_id=NNANO-201205 is the right reference).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, this was a eureka moment I had while listening to Leonard Susskind's Black Hole Wars. I will have to re-download the audiobook so I can find the exact quote so I can say exactly how it influenced my thoughts on the question exactly. Basically, he made a comment about quantum systems being time symmetric and not being able to draw an arrow of time due to entropy for those systems, so how would a large bose-einstein condensate interact in terms of time with other massive astronomical systems? The bosons would curve spacetime in some way which would make them have an impact on other astronomic phenomena and vice versa so what would the spacetime of the bec look like and how would that differ from say a bunch of entangled photons interacting on the subatomic level? Also, would it be possible to sustain the the condensate and scale it up? For example say you had a collection of bosons with 3 solar masses encased in a sort of sheath in vacuum what would the condensate look like as it collapsed so a singularity? I am trying to come up with "thought experiments" that could be avenues for GR and QFT unification

I have only taken up to electromagnetism though, so I am still new to upper level physics esp the mathematics

Digitalism said:
he made a comment about quantum systems being time symmetric and not being able to draw an arrow of time due to entropy for those systems

I don't know what source material you are referring to here, but I think there is no problem in using entropy to define an arrow of time for "quantum systems." *All* systems are quantum mechanical, so the second law would be in serious trouble if entropy did not increase with time in quantum mechanics.

1. What is a Bose Einstein condensate (BEC)?

A Bose Einstein condensate is a state of matter that occurs when a group of bosons, which are particles with integer spin, are cooled to extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero. At these temperatures, the bosons lose their individual identities and behave as a single entity, exhibiting quantum phenomena on a macroscopic scale.

2. How is a Bose Einstein condensate created?

A Bose Einstein condensate is created by cooling a gas of bosons to extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero. This is typically achieved by using specialized cooling techniques such as laser cooling or evaporative cooling.

3. What is the significance of Bose Einstein condensates in the field of physics?

Bose Einstein condensates have been a subject of intense research in the field of physics since their discovery in 1995. They have allowed scientists to study quantum phenomena on a macroscopic scale and have applications in fields such as quantum computing and precision measurements.

4. What is the relationship between Bose Einstein condensates and general relativity (GR)?

Bose Einstein condensates have been used to test some predictions of general relativity, such as the equivalence principle, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. In addition, the study of BECs has provided insight into the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, which is relevant to the study of cosmology and the early universe.

5. What are some current research areas involving Bose Einstein condensates and GR?

Some current research areas involving Bose Einstein condensates and general relativity include testing the limits of the equivalence principle, studying the effects of gravity on BECs, and exploring the possibility of using BECs as a tool to study the effects of gravity on quantum systems. There is also ongoing research on the potential use of BECs to detect and study dark matter, which is an important area of study in cosmology and astrophysics.