Bought speakers with non-US plug how to convert to US outlet voltage?

In summary, you need a 110V to 220V adapter to use your new speakers, and the plug on the speakers is actually for a different voltage. The plug on the speakers can be switched to match the voltage by mechanically adapting it.
feihong47
I'm not really sure where this question would go, or if it should go in this forum at all. This isn't an engineering question per se, but please help me if you can.

I bought a set of speakers for my computer recently on Ebay. Apparently all the manuals are in Spanish (which wasn't much of a problem for me since I can get the manual in English). But when I looked at the plug, it isn't the standard US electrical plug at all. It IS a two-pronged plug, but not the flat rectangular ones I see here, but they are slim cylindrical shaped. It says it is a 110V-60Hz 525mA power cable.

I tried looking online to see what kind of adapter I should get from Amazon to be able to use it properly without blowing the house up, but I get different answers as to which adapter I should get. I see commonly a 110 to 220 converter... but my search reveals that US households have a voltage of 120V. Some common adapters I see on Amazon are "220/240 to 110/120". But that doesn't seem like that's what I need. I seem to need the 110 to 120 adapter. (Unless I'm totally wrong on that, which I could be).

Any ideas? Any links to an Amazon product that would help me?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
feihong47 said:
I'm not really sure where this question would go, or if it should go in this forum at all. This isn't an engineering question per se, but please help me if you can.

I bought a set of speakers for my computer recently on Ebay. Apparently all the manuals are in Spanish (which wasn't much of a problem for me since I can get the manual in English). But when I looked at the plug, it isn't the standard US electrical plug at all. It IS a two-pronged plug, but not the flat rectangular ones I see here, but they are slim cylindrical shaped. It says it is a 110V-60Hz 525mA power cable.

I tried looking online to see what kind of adapter I should get from Amazon to be able to use it properly without blowing the house up, but I get different answers as to which adapter I should get. I see commonly a 110 to 220 converter... but my search reveals that US households have a voltage of 120V. Some common adapters I see on Amazon are "220/240 to 110/120". But that doesn't seem like that's what I need. I seem to need the 110 to 120 adapter. (Unless I'm totally wrong on that, which I could be).

Any ideas? Any links to an Amazon product that would help me?

Thanks

There isn't enough difference between 110Vrms and 120Vrms to worry about, IMO. And since they are rated for 60Hz, all you need to do is mechanically adapt the male plug from Mexico to the male plug from the US.

Does this look right?

http://www.expansys-usa.com/expansys-usa-mexico-canada-2-pin-plug-adapter-converts-eu-to-us-217870/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base&mkwid=svHjLhmZB&kword=adwords_productfeed&gclid=COac-rKA_7ECFSXhQgoddVEATg

expansys-usa-mexico-canada-2-pin-plug-adapter.jpg

Thanks! It certainly looks like what I need. I did order the plug you mentioned for 2 bucks. Let's hope it works.

The other thing I want to confirm is -- the subwoofer states the cord is a 110V power cord, but the plug itself has a voltage on it that says 250V. I should go with what is stated on the subwoofer correct? (And ignore what is on the plug itself?)

Yes. If there's a label on the subwoofer (would normally be near where the power cord exits) that says 110V then that's voltage it requires. If there's a voltage (and/or amp) rating stamped on the plug, that would normally just represent the maximum rating for the plug itself.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

There are two separate issues here and it needs to be spelled out, I think.
You need to feed your speakers with the correct voltage - but that would really only be a problem if you were trying to operate 110 (or 120) V equipment on a 230V supply.

The connectors that work on the 110V range are all suitable for that voltage so it looks as if you only need to swap connectors. The wiring colour will be relevant of there is a third (Earth) connection and it is also a good thing to connect the live conductor to the live hole in the socket (if there is a 'handedness') to the connectors. This is not a problem with US style electrics, though. European (particular UK) equipment is very fussy about such matters so, if you visit Europe, you can't be as sloppy as you can in The Americas. Ask us again, when you do.

What is the voltage difference between non-US and US outlets?

The voltage difference between non-US and US outlets is typically 220-240 volts for non-US outlets and 110-120 volts for US outlets.

Can I use a converter to convert the voltage for my bought speakers?

Yes, you can use a voltage converter to convert the voltage for your bought speakers. Make sure to choose a converter that is compatible with the wattage and frequency of your speakers.

Do I need to also convert the plug type for my bought speakers?

Yes, you will also need to convert the plug type for your bought speakers. Non-US outlets have different plug types than US outlets, so you will need an adapter to fit the US outlet.

What are the risks of using a voltage converter for my bought speakers?

Using a voltage converter can potentially damage your speakers if the converter is not compatible with the wattage and frequency of your speakers. It is important to choose a high-quality converter and follow the instructions carefully.

Is there an alternative to using a voltage converter for my bought speakers?

Yes, you can purchase a new power supply or cord that is compatible with US outlets. This may be a simpler and safer option than using a voltage converter.