Boundary between a particle in two energy states

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of placing a cube of particles in a ground state on top of another cube with the same particles in a higher energy state. The question is whether there would be a barrier effect in this scenario and if the particles on the interface would swap energy states. The response explains that the system would reach a thermodynamic equilibrium based on the overall energy and allowable states.
Rikrik
Hi I'm new to quantum mechanics, Looking for some help regarding a concept i am struggling to solve. I am curious if I had a cube of particles in a ground state and another cube with the same particle in a higher energy state.

If I placed one upon another, is there anything in quantum mechanics that would produce a barrier type effect.

Say if the top cube is in the ground state, Would the particles on the interface between each cube swap energy states and then swap straight back as the majority of the cube has a energy state weighted towards the ground state, some sort of sudo super positioning.

Kind regards,
Rick.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I think you need to be more specific about the physical scenario you have in mind. In general, a system of particles will reach a thermodynamic equilibrium, based on the overall energy and the allowable states for the system.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the boundary between a particle in two energy states?

The boundary between a particle in two energy states refers to the point at which the particle transitions from one energy state to another. This can occur due to external factors, such as the application of energy, or internal factors, such as the decay of an unstable particle.

2. How is the boundary between energy states determined?

The boundary between energy states is determined by the energy difference between the two states. This difference is known as the energy gap and can be calculated using the energy levels of the particle and the laws of quantum mechanics.

3. Can the boundary between energy states be manipulated?

Yes, the boundary between energy states can be manipulated through the application of external factors. For example, the use of electromagnetic fields or particle accelerators can alter the energy levels of particles, causing them to transition to different energy states.

4. What happens at the boundary between energy states?

At the boundary between energy states, the particle undergoes a transition from one energy level to another. This can result in changes to the particle's properties, such as its momentum, spin, or charge. The exact changes depend on the specific energy states involved in the transition.

5. How does the boundary between energy states affect the behavior of a particle?

The boundary between energy states can significantly impact the behavior of a particle. This is because the energy state of a particle is closely linked to its physical properties and behavior. For example, a particle in a higher energy state may have a higher velocity or be more unstable compared to the same particle in a lower energy state.