Bow Tie Antenna Construction Question

In summary, the individual is attempting to build a high gain TV antenna with a minimum range of 75 miles and specialized for UHF channels 17-38. They plan to use a signal amp board from a previous antenna and are considering either a Bow-Tie or half-wave dipole design. They are seeking advice on the segment lengths and spacing for the dipole design and are open to any potential pitfalls they may encounter.
Joshua Guyette
I'm trying to build a high gain TV antenna. I'm looking to achieve a 75 mile minimum range under most weather conditions. I do have a signal amp board I striped from an OK antenna, that I plan to use as well. I'm trying to specialize the antenna for my viewing market, UHF channels 17-38 (489.25 MHz to 615.25 MHz).

Looking at guides on the internet, most Bow-Tie antennas are 4 or 8 segments (why, is a question in it's self). My first question is, does each segment need to be the same length. The UHF stations in my area, if I were building a half-wave dipole antenna, would indicate that I use segments between 9" and 12" (half-wave lengths, I know to use only quarter lengths on each side). The Bow-Tie's I've seen are all the same length, usually about 8" in length.

Second question, if I go half-wave dipole style. I was going to use segments lengths that match the channel frequencies in my area... I'm using 8 gauge copper wire that I plan on welding to a 3/4" copper pipe with a reflective panel behind it. On this type of design is there any rule for spacing the segments out along the copper piping.

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice before starting. Also, are there in pitfalls that I might run into that could compromise the design?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The spacing on the dipole segments is the question I'm most interested in... If anyone happens to know, or can point me in the right direction. :)

Last edited:
nvm, I think I got this figured out. I'll post any positive results.

Likes davenn

1. What materials are needed to construct a bow tie antenna?

The materials needed to construct a bow tie antenna include insulated copper wire, a coaxial cable, a balun transformer, a boom (support structure), and soldering equipment.

2. What is the recommended size for the bow tie elements?

The recommended size for the bow tie elements is usually between 1/8 and 1/4 wavelength of the desired frequency. For example, for a frequency of 100 MHz, the element size should be between 75 and 150 cm.

3. How is the bow tie antenna mounted?

The bow tie antenna is typically mounted on a support structure or boom, such as a PVC pipe or wooden dowel. The coaxial cable is attached to the center of the antenna and the balun transformer is connected to the other end of the coaxial cable.

4. What is the purpose of the balun transformer in a bow tie antenna?

The balun transformer is used to match the impedance of the antenna to the coaxial cable, which helps to reduce signal loss and improve overall antenna performance.

5. How do I determine the correct angle for the bow tie elements?

The angle of the bow tie elements can be determined by using antenna modeling software or by trial and error. Generally, a 90-degree angle between the elements is a good starting point, but adjustments may need to be made for optimal performance.