Box & Whisker Plot: When, How & Difference

• I
  • Thread starter mohammed El-Kady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Plot
In summary, a Box & Whisker Plot is a type of graphical representation of numerical data that shows the distribution of the data and important statistics such as minimum, maximum, median, and quartiles. It is appropriate to use when understanding the spread and central tendency of a large dataset. To create one, data must be organized in ascending order and important values must be found. It differs from a Histogram in that it shows the distribution of data while a Histogram shows the frequency. A Box & Whisker Plot can be interpreted by looking at the length of the box and whiskers, as well as the position of important values, to understand the interquartile range, spread, and central tendency of the data.
mohammed El-Kady
TL;DR Summary
the usage of box and whisker plot
I know the steps of box and whisker plot, but when should I use it? how can I classify its problems?, what is the difference between it and other statistical methods?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a box and whisker plot?

A box and whisker plot is a graphical representation of numerical data that displays the median, quartiles, and extreme values of a data set. It is used to summarize the distribution of the data and identify any outliers.

2. When should I use a box and whisker plot?

A box and whisker plot is typically used when you want to compare the distribution of data between different groups or to identify any outliers in a data set. It is also useful for displaying the spread and central tendency of a data set.

3. How do I create a box and whisker plot?

To create a box and whisker plot, you first need to arrange your data in ascending order. Then, find the median, upper and lower quartiles, and extreme values. Next, draw a box from the lower to upper quartile, with a line at the median. Finally, draw lines (whiskers) from the box to the extreme values.

4. What is the difference between a box and whisker plot and a histogram?

A box and whisker plot displays the distribution of a data set in a visual format, whereas a histogram shows the frequency or count of data within specific intervals. A box and whisker plot also includes information about the median and extreme values, while a histogram does not.

5. How can I interpret a box and whisker plot?

A box and whisker plot can be interpreted by looking at the central box, which represents the middle 50% of the data, and the whiskers, which represent the remaining 50% of the data. The length of the box and whiskers can give an indication of the spread of the data, and any outliers can be identified as points outside of the whiskers.