Bragg diffraction form an “inclined” crystal plane

In summary, the first-order reflection from the reflection planes in a crystal occurs when an x-ray beam with a wavelength of 0.260 nm makes an angle of 63.8° with the top face of the crystal. Using Bragg's law, the unit cell size can be calculated as a0 = √2λ / 2sin(θ - 45°), with θ being the angle of diffraction measured with respect to the plane. However, a solution manual online suggests using θ = 63.8° in the Bragg's law equation, which may be incorrect. Further verification is needed.
crick

Homework Statement

In picture, first-order reflection from the reflection planes shown occurs when an x-ray beam of wavelength ##0.260 nm## makes an angle ##\theta=63.8°## with the top face of the crystal. What is the unit cell size ##a_0##?

Immagindfde.png

Homework Equations

Bragg law
$$d=\frac{ n \lambda} {2 \sin \Theta}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I must consider an angle ##\alpha =\theta -45°=18.8°## in bragg law and then $$a_0=\sqrt{2} \frac{ \lambda} {2 \sin \alpha}$$

That's because I was sure that the angle of diffraction ##\theta## in bragg's law must always be measured with respect to the plane as in the following picture

Immagine8888.png

Nevertheless I cheked on solution manual found online here : http://omega.altervista.org/extra/key%20to%20Physics.pdf

And I found the following solution:
Immagine33333.png

So the angle used in Bragg law is still ##\theta =63.8°## ! How can it be correct?

Attachments

• Immagindfde.png
    Immagindfde.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 703
  • Immagine8888.png
    Immagine8888.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 615
  • Immagine33333.png
    Immagine33333.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 577
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got it right and the book's solution is incorrect, but I would need to double-check my result to be sure.

Likes crick

1. What is Bragg diffraction from an "inclined" crystal plane?

Bragg diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a monochromatic (single wavelength) beam of radiation, such as X-rays, interacts with a crystal and produces a characteristic pattern of diffracted beams. When the crystal plane is inclined, meaning it is not parallel to the incident beam, the diffraction pattern will be shifted and distorted.

2. How does the angle of inclination affect the Bragg diffraction pattern?

The angle of inclination of the crystal plane affects the spacing between the diffracted beams in the diffraction pattern. As the angle increases, the spacing between the beams decreases and the pattern becomes more elongated. This is due to the change in the distance traveled by the incident beam between the crystal planes, known as the path difference.

3. What is the difference between Bragg diffraction from an inclined plane and a perpendicular plane?

When the crystal plane is perpendicular to the incident beam, the diffraction pattern will be a series of evenly spaced dots. This is because the path difference between the beams is constant. However, when the crystal plane is inclined, the path difference varies and the pattern becomes elongated and shifted.

4. How is Bragg diffraction from an inclined plane used in crystallography?

Bragg diffraction from an inclined crystal plane is used in crystallography to determine the structure of crystals. By analyzing the diffraction pattern, scientists can calculate the spacing between crystal planes and use this information to determine the arrangement of atoms within the crystal.

5. Can Bragg diffraction from an inclined plane be used to determine the orientation of a crystal?

Yes, Bragg diffraction from an inclined crystal plane can be used to determine the orientation of a crystal. By analyzing the diffraction pattern, scientists can determine the angle of inclination of the crystal plane and use this information to determine the orientation of the crystal in three-dimensional space.