Braids as a representation space of SU(5)

In summary: Perhaps if it can be shown these braided ribbon structures have string-like properties with worldsheets, then that could be an approach to...This is something that is not explicitly mentioned in the paper, but is hinted at. In order to have a particle like an electron, the structures would need to have properties similar to those of a string, such as having worldsheets.
kodama
Demystifier said:
Unlike string theory, LQG was never a candidate for TOE.
Demystifier said:
Unlike string theory, LQG was never a candidate for TOE.
kodama said:
Demystifier said:
You are right, never say never! :smile:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.08067
Braids as a representation space of SU(5)
Daniel Cartin
(Submitted on 23 Jun 2015)
The Standard Model of particle physics provides very accurate predictions of phenomena occurring at the sub-atomic level, but the reason for the choice of symmetry group and the large number of particles considered elementary, is still unknown. Along the lines of previous preon models positing a substructure to explain these aspects, Bilson-Thompson showed how the first family of elementary particles is realized as the crossings of braids made of three strands, with charges resulting from twists of those strands with certain conditions; in this topological model, there are only two distinct neutrino states. Modeling the particles as braids implies these braids must be the representation space of a Lie algebra, giving the symmetries of the Standard Model. In this paper, this representation is made explicit, obtaining the raising operators associated with the Lie algebra of SU(5), one of the earliest grand unified theories. Because the braids form a group, the action of these operators are braids themselves, leading to their identification as gauge bosons. Possible choices for the other two families are also given. Although this realization of particles as braids is lacking a dynamical framework, it is very suggestive, especially when considered as a natural method of adding matter to loop quantum gravity.
9 pages, 7 figures

Physics news on Phys.org
There could be some interest in that!
I logged it in the bibliography when it came out:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/loop-and-allied-qg-bibliography.7245/page-117#post-5154329
but neglected to include it in the 2nd quarter poll.

I suppose we might make an exception and include it in the 3rd quarter poll on the principle of "better late than never." Here's the Inspire record, which will show any cites:
http://inspirehep.net/record/1379960?ln=en
Here's Cartin's author profile at Inspire:
http://inspirehep.net/author/profile/D.Cartin.1

Last edited:
Bilson-Thompson isn't mainstream LQG. what is mainstream LQG in incorporating SM fields and particles?

This is the first paper for a while on this topic (which I think goes to show that just because there hasn't been recent activity on some subject, that does not necessarily mean that the idea has been abandoned!). For example - I'm still waiting for Thiemann's paper on the "the LQG string" in curved space-time!

What this thread needs is:

A review of earlier papers/talks would be appropriate - stuff on the motivation from "noiseless sub-systems", the requirement that this applies to q-deformed (i.e. non-zero cosmological constant) versions of LQG (cus that is why you get one-dimensional links replaced by these ribbons that can have twists in them), dynamical rules that incorporate micro-causality as part of the substitution rules (I think?). The idea that these rules identify stable states which then make "interactions" as something that somehow violate these stables states (I think?).

Oh and a particle physicist to give us a primer on SU(5) as a GUT (SU(5) group containing SU(3) X SU(2) x U(1) as a sub-group), together with an explanation of the problem of non-observed proton decay.

Last edited:
julian said:
Oh and a particle physicist to give us a primer on SU(5) as a GUT (SU(5) group containing SU(3) X SU(2) x U(1) as a sub-group), together with an explanation of the problem of non-observed proton decay.

perhaps this is a prelude to "Braids as a representation space of SO(10)" or whatever is the next most promising ?

With SU(5) you get proton decay which has not yet been observed experimentally, and the resulting lower limit on the lifetime of the proton contradicts the predictions of this model. However, the elegance of the model has led particle physicists to use it as the foundation for more complex models which yield longer proton lifetimes.

Is SO(10) one of these more complex models? A note:

"Historical note: Georgi found the SO(10) theory a few hours before finding SU(5) at the end of 1973". Apparently.

However, the mechanism by which you have `preon configurations' in q-deformed LQG is very different from "normal" particle physics - so you should not give up hope that somehow the q-deformed LQG approach may have resolutions to the non-observed proton decay that have yet to be understood! I think this is something they mention in the paper...along with other hopes of unforeseen constraining rules that could resolve other issues.

Last edited:
julian if they could show how even 1 lqg, braded ribbon in q-deformed can give rise to a SM particle like neutrino or photon with all properties, i'll be amazed. perhaps string theory can help here.

i.e you have 1 braided ribbon structure in LQG. you have an elementary particle like an electron. how do you show these ribbon structures have the properties of an electron?

perhaps if it can be shown these braided ribbon structures have string-like properties with worldsheets, then that could be an approach to SM

julian said:
I recalled pictures from "Quantum Gravity and the Standard Model": http://fr.arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0603022

it would be interesting to speculate what would be the hypothetical properties of a fundamental object that (1) satisfies the ribbons he proposed and (2) gives rise to elementary particles of the SM.

1. What is the significance of using braids as a representation space for SU(5)?

Braids are an important tool in mathematics and physics for studying symmetry and group theory. SU(5) is a special unitary group that describes the symmetries of a five-dimensional space. By using braids as a representation space for this group, we can better understand how the symmetries of SU(5) act on physical systems.

2. How are braids used to represent SU(5)?

Braids are used to represent SU(5) by assigning each braid a specific element of the group. This is done through a process called the braid group representation, which maps the elements of the braid group onto the elements of SU(5). This allows us to visualize and manipulate the symmetries of SU(5) through the use of braids.

3. What advantages does using braids as a representation space have compared to other methods?

Using braids as a representation space for SU(5) has several advantages. Firstly, it provides a visual and intuitive way to understand the symmetries of the group. Secondly, it allows for the study of more complex symmetries that may not be easily visualized in other methods. Additionally, braids can be used to study the behavior of SU(5) under different transformations, providing valuable insights into the structure of the group.

4. Can braids be used to represent other groups besides SU(5)?

Yes, braids can be used to represent a wide range of groups, including other Lie groups, finite groups, and even non-group structures such as topological spaces. However, the specific representation of braids will vary depending on the group being studied.

5. How can the study of braids in SU(5) have practical applications?

The study of braids in SU(5) has several practical applications, particularly in the field of particle physics. SU(5) is a popular choice for grand unified theories, and using braids as a representation space can help researchers better understand the symmetries and interactions of elementary particles. Additionally, braids have applications in other areas such as cryptography, knot theory, and biology.