Brain-controlled exoskeleton for teen to kickoff at World Cup

In summary, the World Cup 2014 soccer tournament in Brazil will start with a kick from a paralyzed teen using a sophisticated mind-controlled exoskeleton. There are risks for emberassing failure, but the potential for interesting new technology is worth the risk.
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know if that helps. (I fixed the title).

Last edited:
I expect him to walk slowly towards the ball and then touch it lightly with his foot (with a kick indistinguishable from a normal walking step), sending it 10 feet at a 45 degree angle from the direction he intended to kick it.

Or he'll sprint on the field twice as fast as Usain Bolt, and boot the ball with a thunderous kick that will send it out of the stadium.

Those are the only two options.

Yep, lots of potential for emberassing failure, but could also be very interesting to see.

Well I personally think a BCI exoskeleton is a lot more interesting than soccer, whether it's primitive or not it (hopefully) heralds a new age.

I want a tail.

WorldCup_610x343.jpg

I have *so* many problems with this image. It was so bad it detracted from the rest of the article (and from the Washington Post article from whence this image was taken).

1. Why are those three people all female? This is the 2014 Men's World Cup after all.
2. Why isn't the kicker looking at the ball? That's a recipe for missing the kick.
3. Why is the kicker smiling? This is game face time. The smile comes after successfully kicking the ball.
4. What's with the pushup bras? The women in the 2015 Women's World Cup will not look like that.

This is perhaps a bit ableist, but here's what female soccer players look like:

Game face.
soc_g_smith1x_576.jpg

Game faces and eyes on the ball.
switzerland-soccer-women-world-cup-qualification-2011-2010-9-16-14-20-59.jpg

Game faces, eyes on the ball, and no pushup bras.
n_valencia_fondos-42263.jpg

What's the worst that can happen - a Charlie Brown moment for stun struck audience, speachless commentators and researchers who will have a lot of explaining to do, and of course the kicker lying on his/her back and waving appendages like a beetle stuck upside down.

D H said:
WorldCup_610x343.jpg

I have *so* many problems with this image. It was so bad it detracted from the rest of the article (and from the Washington Post article from whence this image was taken).
It

1. Why are those three people all female? This is the 2014 Men's World Cup after all.
That's the same person with superimposed snapshots of different times. Graphic designers were probably all male (1).
2. Why isn't the kicker looking at the ball? That's a recipe for missing the kick.
Probably a case of nerves...
3. Why is the kicker smiling?
See (1)
4. What's with the pushup bras?
See (1).
The women in the 2015 Women's World Cup will not look like that.
:cry:

1. How does the brain-controlled exoskeleton work?

The brain-controlled exoskeleton uses advanced brain-computer interface technology to translate brain signals into physical movements. Electrodes placed on the user's scalp pick up electrical signals from the brain and send them to a computer, which then controls the movements of the exoskeleton.

2. What are the potential benefits of using a brain-controlled exoskeleton?

The use of a brain-controlled exoskeleton can provide numerous benefits, such as increasing mobility and independence for individuals with physical disabilities. It can also potentially improve rehabilitation for those with neurological conditions and assist with tasks that require physical strength and endurance.

3. Is the brain-controlled exoskeleton safe to use?

Yes, the brain-controlled exoskeleton is safe to use as it undergoes rigorous testing and development before being approved for use. Additionally, trained professionals will monitor and assist with the use of the exoskeleton to ensure the safety of the user.

4. Can anyone use a brain-controlled exoskeleton?

Currently, brain-controlled exoskeletons are still in the early stages of development and are primarily used for medical and research purposes. However, with further advancements and improvements, it is possible that in the future, anyone may be able to use a brain-controlled exoskeleton.

5. Will the brain-controlled exoskeleton be available for purchase?

At this time, the brain-controlled exoskeleton is not available for commercial purchase. It is being used for research and medical purposes, and further development and testing are needed before it can be made widely available.

Back