BrainModel: Audio Analysis/Synthesis Software, FFT/Spectograms, Mic/Spkr

In summary, it seems like you are on the right track with your research and have a good understanding of the tools and resources you need to accomplish your goals.
neurocomp2003
Not sure if this belongs in this forum, its subforums or engineering.
Thanks for reading, the post is long. Any suggestions would be grateful.
-------------------
Application Field: Brain Modelling
Topic: Audio Analysis then Audio Synthesis
IDE: MSVC (unless the package is for cygwin that is workable in MSVC)
Language: C/C++ [HPC/cluster reasons]
-------------------
QUESTIONS:
[Q1]: What packages to use to make a spectrogram? And am i on the right track?
[Q2]: is spectrogram or scaleogram better for the task below?
[Q3]: is onboard soundcard capable of the task below? [card: sigmatel HD audio codec]
[Q4]: what format is the input sound signal to FFT algorithm?
[Q5]: if the FFT algorithm outputs (Re,Im) pairs, does a spectrogram use the I am values.
-------------------
Desire: [Phase 1] I need to embed a spectrogram[t v Hz v Amp?] from realtime sound(microphone) or loaded file(wav or mp3) into a C/C++ GUI application(currently wx) to perform audio analysis whereby the spectrogram or some arrangement of the data will be later fed into a neural network to mimic hair cells (which includes vision). [Phase 2] Once phase 1 is setup, I then need to perform audio synthesis via phonemes and basic music oral sounds to mimic the vocal tract or some higher level area.

OR perhaps i should reverse the tasks.
-------------------
What I know:
-my sound card is sigma tel high definition audio codec
-the spectrogram process: get sound buffer--> feed to FFT/wavelet --> feed to GUI
-how to load/play/save wav/mp3 sounds via packages (openal, directx/midi, RT, portaudio,SDL)

-------------------
What I've Tried:
- [still working through] marsyas library , sndobj library but both give fuzzy output signal via my soundcard, and neither seems to access the hardware simultaneously for both input(mic) and output(spk)
- I've looked at CLAM++ but sadly i require a MSVC compatible library because i rely on MSVC IDE
-------------------
What i'd prefer not to use:
-speech specific software like SAPI or the one from CMU, though i probably need too.
-synthesis specific software like STK.
-------------------
What I'm looking for in the packages
-open source?
- I'd rather use a package capable of both analysis and synthesis which includes some FFT and midi capability. Though presumably one can get the FFT elsewhere but it seems its included in linux APIs. Hopefully the API is easy to use with pseudo code looking like

[] GetMic(...)/LoadSoundFile(...)
[] GetSoundBuffer(...)
[] CallingFFT(...)

- also being able to insert frequencies with duration and timbre would be useful if the package doesn't have midi.

-pointing me to a newsgroup/mailgroup would also help
-------------------
thank you again for reading,

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have done your research and have a good understanding of what you need to accomplish. Based on the information you provided, it looks like you may benefit from using a library like CLAM++, which is compatible with MSVC and has both FFT and MIDI capabilities. Additionally, you may want to look into other libraries that offer audio analysis tools, such as LibROSA or LibSndFile. Finally, there are helpful discussion forums for audio programming related topics, such as the Sound Programming Forum or the Audio Programming Forum. I hope this helps!

1. What is BrainModel and what does it do?

BrainModel is an audio analysis and synthesis software that uses FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) and spectograms to analyze and manipulate audio signals. It also utilizes a microphone and speaker to capture and output audio.

2. How does BrainModel use FFT and spectograms?

FFT is used to break down an audio signal into its individual frequency components, which are then displayed in a spectogram. This allows users to visualize and manipulate specific frequencies in the audio signal.

3. What are the main features of BrainModel?

Some of the main features of BrainModel include real-time audio analysis and manipulation, customizable FFT settings, and the ability to save and export audio files.

4. Can BrainModel be used for music production?

Yes, BrainModel can be used for music production as it allows for precise manipulation of audio signals and can be used to create unique sound effects and textures.

5. Is BrainModel suitable for beginners?

While BrainModel may have a bit of a learning curve, it can certainly be used by beginners with some patience and practice. There are also tutorials and resources available to help users get started with the software.