Brane cosmology without string theory?

In summary, Brane cosmology is a field of study related to string theory and investigates the possibility of "brane-worlds" with different dimensions and laws of physics. Physicists such as Lisa Randall and Raman Sundrum are working in this field, but all models are connected to string theory and have a maximum number of dimensions allowed. There is no known model or physicist proposing a "brane-world" scenario with an infinite number of dimensions and different fundamental laws of physics. The focus of brane scenarios is on understanding the big bang singularity and hierarchy problems through the framework of string theory. However, there is a possibility of an arbitrary classical brane scenario, but it may not be as interesting as those connected to string theory.
Suekdccia
TL;DR Summary
Are there models of brane cosmology which are not necessarily or directly related to string theory?
There are several models of brane cosmology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brane_cosmology) and several physicists working in this field (e.g Lisa Randall and Raman Sundrum), but as you will notice, apparently they are all directly related to string theory. This has several consequences, for example, the "brane-worlds" in these theories cannot exceed the maximum number of dimensions that string theory allows (for example, in M-theory, which is closely related to string theory, branes cannot exceed 11 dimensions). Also these "brane-worlds" could have different laws of physics, but all of them would follow the fundamental laws of string theory.

Therefore, is there any model or physicist working on this field who proposes a "brane-world" cosmological scenario where the branes could have any number of dimensions (even infinitely many) and different fundamental laws of physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess one of the things brane scenarios are investigating, is the nature of the big bang singularity or hierarchy problems. For that you need quantum gravity, and string theory provides you with such a framework.

I'm not sure how interesting an arbitrary classical brane scenario would be, which for me explains why I can't think of such scenarios. But maybe I'm just ignorant :P