Breaking of ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)##

• A
  • Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the model G(221) and the particles that belong to different representations in the model. The use of bi-doublet Sigma to break symmetry and the gauge bosons W_l and W_h are also mentioned. The conversation also delves into the Lagrangian that is invariant under the group and the addition of a Higgs doublet. There is a discussion about whether one or two Higgs doublets should be added and their coupling to the fermions in the model. The need for a higher dimension operator is also brought up.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am trying to write down the above model (also known as G(221) )...
So as a first step I am trying to put the particles in their respective representations.
I say that the light-generation fermions belong to the one SU(2) , also written as ##SU_l (2)##, and the third generation fermions belong to the other ##SU_h(2)##. Thus the first transform in ##(\textbf{2},\textbf{1})## of the model, and the last in ##(\textbf{1},\textbf{2})##.
I also need a bi-doublet ##\Sigma## to break the symmetry which will belong in the ##(\textbf{2},\textbf{2})##, and I will have the gauge bosons ##W_l## and ##W_h## that will belong in ##(\textbf{3},\textbf{1})## and ##(\textbf{1},\textbf{3})## respectively.

Question 1:
Wouldn't a##(\textbf{3},\textbf{3})## field be possible?

Question 2:
I tried to write down the Lagrangian that will be invariant under this group. I know it looks bad but here is what I ended up with:
\begin{align*}

\mathcal{L}_{kin}&= i\bar{\psi}_l \partial_\mu \gamma^\mu \psi_l +i \bar{\psi}_h \partial_\mu \gamma^\mu \psi_h \\

\mathcal{L}_{int}&= g_l W_\mu^l\bar{\psi}_l \gamma^\mu \psi_l + g_h W_\mu^h \bar{\psi}_h \gamma^\mu \psi_h \\&+ Y_{lh} \bar{\psi}_l \Sigma \psi_h\\&- \Big(g_l^2 W_\mu^l W^{\mu l} + 2g_l g_h W_\mu^l W^{\mu h} +g_h^2 W_\mu^h W^{\mu h} \Big) \Sigma^\dagger \Sigma\\&-i (g_l W_\mu^l + g_h W_\mu^h) ( \Sigma^\dagger \partial^\mu \Sigma + \Sigma \partial^\mu \Sigma^\dagger)\\

\mathcal{L}_{gauge}&= - \frac{1}{4} W_{\mu \nu}^l W^{\mu \nu l}- \frac{1}{4} W_{\mu \nu}^h W^{\mu \nu h} \\

\mathcal{L}_{scalar}&= \partial_\mu \Sigma^\dagger \partial^\mu \Sigma - \mu_{h}^2 \Sigma^\dagger \Sigma + \lambda_h |\Sigma^\dagger \Sigma|^2
\end{align*}

In literature I read that one also needs to add a Higgs doublet that belongs to the ##(\textbf{2},\textbf{1})## so that it will break the final SM group ##SU_{h+l}(2) \times U_Y(1)##. However I don't understand how one can add just 1 Higgs doublet and not a second one (that will belong to ##(\textbf{1},\textbf{2})## rep). Adding just the recommended Higgs Doublet, I will have to couple it only to the light generation of fermions (and I think at the end the heavy generation won't get masses in the final stage):
as I understand it the reccommendation asks to add (among others): [itex] Y \bar{\psi}_l H \psi_l [/itex]
vs
I think i should write something like: [itex] Y_1 \bar{\psi}_l H_1 \psi_l +Y_2 \bar{\psi}_h H_2 \psi_h [/itex]

Any idea what I'm thinking is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe I could try a [itex] \Sigma^\dagger \Sigma \bar{\psi}_h \psi_h [/itex]
but if that's true, I don't see why I cannot use the same for the lights:[itex] \Sigma^\dagger \Sigma \bar{\psi}_l \psi_l [/itex] ...in fact I think this is a higher dimension operator (it's not there in the SM lagrangian either).

1. What is the significance of breaking ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)##?

Breaking ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)## is a process in particle physics where the symmetry of a system is reduced from a product of two SU(2) groups to a single SU(2) group. This allows for a better understanding of the dynamics of the system and can provide insight into the fundamental forces at play.

2. How does the breaking of ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)## occur?

The breaking of ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)## can occur spontaneously, through the Higgs mechanism, or through explicit symmetry breaking. In the spontaneous breaking scenario, the symmetry is broken due to the non-zero expectation value of a scalar field. The Higgs mechanism involves the absorption of Goldstone bosons by gauge bosons, resulting in their mass and the breaking of symmetry. In explicit symmetry breaking, a perturbation is introduced to the system, leading to the breaking of symmetry.

3. What are the implications of breaking ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)## in particle physics?

The breaking of ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)## has various implications in particle physics. It can explain the mass of particles, the structure of the weak force, and the existence of electroweak interactions. It also helps to unify the electromagnetic and weak forces into the electroweak force, providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces in nature.

4. Can the breaking of ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)## occur in other areas of physics?

Yes, the concept of breaking symmetry is not limited to particle physics. It can also occur in other areas of physics, such as condensed matter physics, where the breaking of symmetries can explain the properties of materials. For example, the breaking of rotational symmetry can lead to the formation of magnetic domains in a ferromagnetic material.

5. How does the breaking of ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)## relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The breaking of ##SU(2) \times SU(2)## to ##SU(2)## is a crucial aspect of the Standard Model of particle physics. It is responsible for the generation of mass and the structure of the weak force. Additionally, it provides a framework for understanding the interactions between particles and the fundamental forces at play in the universe.