Brewster's law for incident vertically polarised light

In summary: I am not quite sure about it.In summary, Brewster's law states that if a unpolarised light is incident at a certain angle of incidence, then part of it gets plane polarised and is reflected.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Brewster's law on polarisation states that if a unpolarised light is incident at a certain angle of incidence, then part of it gets plane polarised and is reflected.

What happens if the incident light itself is vertically polarised for the same brewster's angle and same wavelength of light used before?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
What would be your intuitive answer to that? (And why)

sophiecentaur said:
What would be your intuitive answer to that? (And why)

I would like to experiment before putting down any answer on such topics. Unfortunately, I do not have all the requirements currently for the experiment so I'll put no theoretical answer.

Wrichik Basu said:
I would like to experiment before putting down any answer on such topics.
I'd say that light rarely "gets polarized". In most cases, some polarizations are either absorbed or reflected away while others pass through.
That should give you enough information to answer your question.

Likes sophiecentaur
SlowThinker said:
I'd say that light rarely "gets polarized". In most cases, some polarizations are either absorbed or reflected away while others pass through.
You are referring to my case of incident polarised light or the normal one?

SlowThinker said:
I'd say that light rarely "gets polarized".
I agree. It sounds as if something 'forced' the random E vectors all to lay in a certain direction. "Polarisation" of an unpolarised beam involves selection of the E component of all the random vectors in a chosen direction.

Wrichik Basu said:
You are referring to my case of incident polarised light or the normal one?
What "normal" one?

sophiecentaur said:
What "normal" one?
Incident unpolarised light.

Wrichik Basu said:
Incident unpolarised light.
You seem to think there is something different about the Vertical components in a randomly polarised beam and the vertical components in a beam that has already passed through a polariser. You may need to re-think your ideas about what polarisation actually means.
How much have you read about polarisation? You should do some reading round this topic - it's hardly worth my finding a link and copying it to you when you can find all this very easily. Try the Hyperphysics website. You can usually rely on getting good information from them. (There are some nonsense websites that talk about polarisation.)

I am not quite sure about it.

Which bit are you not sure about?

What is Brewster's Law?

Brewster's Law is a physics principle that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection for light that is polarized perpendicularly to the plane of incidence.

How does Brewster's Law apply to incident vertically polarised light?

When vertically polarised light is incident on a medium, Brewster's Law states that the reflected light will be completely polarised, meaning that it will have a single direction of oscillation. This only occurs at a specific angle of incidence, known as the Brewster angle.

What is the formula for Brewster's Law?

The formula for Brewster's Law is tan θB = n2/n1, where θB is the Brewster angle, n1 is the refractive index of the incident medium, and n2 is the refractive index of the medium the light is entering.

How is Brewster's Law used in practical applications?

Brewster's Law is used in various practical applications, such as polarizing filters for cameras and sunglasses, and in optical devices such as polarizing microscopes and LCD screens.

What happens if the angle of incidence is not at the Brewster angle for vertically polarised light?

If the angle of incidence is not at the Brewster angle for vertically polarised light, the reflected light will not be completely polarised. This means that the reflected light will have components in multiple directions of oscillation, resulting in a loss of contrast and clarity.