British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism?

In summary: I believe it was brain cancer...not 100% sure though. And what's wrong with Z's? They're perfectly good letters.In summary, the conversation revolved around a British Physics Olympiad and the difficulty of its questions, with one question in particular being seen as a joke. The participants also discussed the different levels of performance they achieved in the past and made jokes about the use of Z's in one's username. One participant mistakenly addressed another as franznietzsche and apologized for it.
Just some guy
Has anybody here done one of these? I just did the paper 2 and I feel like my brain's going to dribble out of my nose.

Question 1: If a lesser spotted yellow mongoose is thrown from Sidcup with velocity equal to the number of holes in your left sock at an angle theta to the not-quite horizontal, where theta is the relative permittivity of a fillet mignon, and the mongoose hits a small monk sitting on a wall in Bejing, what is the angular momentum of the wonky left wheel of the rickshaw next to the now de-walled monk?

ok, so the questions weren't quite that hard, but it was still evil (still, considering a gold is something like 50% - 60% so I don't suppose I did badly compared to everybody else).

Cheers,
Just some guy

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm thinking of trying to get in the college team next year, can you give me an example of a real question if you can remember? cos i can't find anything on the internet

Well you probably aren't looking very hard because they're on the British Physics Olympiad's home page :-p http://www.le.ac.uk/physics/BPhO/support.html they have a couple of past paper 2's along with the answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question 1: If a lesser spotted yellow mongoose is thrown from Sidcup with velocity equal to the number of holes in your left sock at an angle theta to the not-quite horizontal, where theta is the relative permittivity of a fillet mignon, and the mongoose hits a small monk sitting on a wall in Bejing, what is the angular momentum of the wonky left wheel of the rickshaw next to the now de-walled monk?

...Wha? :confused: That is quite the odd question. I'm reading over it and it still doesn't make sense to me. It reminds me of something I would make up, but to find it in an actual competition? I'd be bursting out laughing rather than being able to calm my nerves down to actually solve it.

motai said:
...Wha? :confused: That is quite the odd question. I'm reading over it and it still doesn't make sense to me. It reminds me of something I would make up, but to find it in an actual competition? I'd be bursting out laughing rather than being able to calm my nerves down to actually solve it.
*adjusts motai's joke detector* Okay, that should do it...better now? :biggrin:

What were the questions like on it? Can you remember any? Is there one in france also?

Moonbear said:
*adjusts motai's joke detector* Okay, that should do it...better now? :biggrin:

No really that problem is so bad, its just not even funny.

I assume they want you to come up with a formula for the angular momentum base d on that? If they expect you to answer in terms like the question however, well screw that. I've got better things to do.

wow, franznietzsche, I didn't even read the problem, I wasn't even online, I wasn't even awake, but I knew it was a joke.

Dumbasses. I did a few of the maths ones of these back in school. Strangely, I started off getting gold awards, then as I got older (and supposedly more educated) I started getting silvers, then bronzes. By the time I was in 6th form I didn't even bother!

peaked when you 10 huh, I can see that.

franznietzsche said:
No really that problem is so bad, its just not even funny.
I assume they want you to come up with a formula for the angular momentum base d on that? If they expect you to answer in terms like the question however, well screw that. I've got better things to do.

my god, even if you didn't find it funny I would have thought people would realize it was an attempt at a joke. Besides, Sidcup is in Britain and Bejing is in China so unless your left sock is some sort of menger sponge the mongoose isn't going to have anything like the velocity required to get to Bejing.

...oh, and lesser spotted mongooses don't exist, but I guess that's a minor aside :rolleyes:

tribdog said:
wow, franznietzsche, I didn't even read the problem, I wasn't even online, I wasn't even awake, but I knew it was a joke.

let's just say I'm really slow today and leave it at that.

oh I suppose you think all spotted mongooses are equal. They are individuals too.

edit: that was too just some guy not franz. I always get scared when franz is around and don't want to offend. I think its the zsche, always makes me think gas chambers

tribdog said:
oh I suppose you think all spotted mongooses are equal. They are individuals too.

edit: that was too just some guy not franz. I always get scared when franz is around and don't want to offend. I think its the zsche, always makes me think gas chambers
:cry: :cry:

That hurts...

Well not really. But I'm sure nietzsche is plenty insulted in his grave.

nietzsche's dead? my god when? howd it happen

edit: I hate z's,

tribdog said:
nietzsche's dead? my god when? howd it happen

edit: I hate z's,

He died in 1900.

Related to British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism?

1. What is the British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism?

The British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism is an annual competition for high school students in the United Kingdom who have a passion for physics and enjoy challenging themselves intellectually.

2. Who can participate in the British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism?

Any high school student in the United Kingdom can participate in the British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism. However, students must be nominated by their school and there is a selection process based on their performance in previous physics competitions.

3. What is the format of the British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism?

The British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism consists of two rounds. The first round is a multiple-choice test that covers a wide range of topics in physics. The second round is a more challenging and open-ended exam that requires students to apply their knowledge and problem-solving skills.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism?

Participating in the British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism allows students to further develop their understanding of physics and problem-solving skills. It also provides an opportunity to compete with other high-achieving students and potentially qualify for the International Physics Olympiad.

5. How can I prepare for the British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism?

To prepare for the British Physics Olympiad - Intellectual Masochism, students should have a strong foundation in physics and regularly practice solving challenging problems. They can also review past papers and participate in physics clubs or competitions to improve their skills.

Back