Bronsted-Lowery Help: Understanding HCOOH + CN- and H2O + HCO3- Reactions

In summary, the Bronsted-Lowry theory defines acids as proton donors and bases as proton acceptors in acid-base reactions. In the first reaction mentioned, formic acid acts as an acid by donating a proton to the base, cyanide ion. In the second reaction, water acts as a base by accepting a proton from the acid, bicarbonate ion. H+ plays a crucial role in these reactions by being the proton being transferred between the acid and base. The species that donates a proton is considered the acid, while the one that accepts the proton is the base. The products of the first reaction are formate ion and hydrogen cyanide, while the products of the second reaction are hydronium ion and carbonate ion.
stuidvkook
Homework Statement
Hi I'm super stuck in understanding bronsted lowry theory. I understand how it supposed to function but I can't wrap my brain around it. Generally any tips and advice in helping identifying bases and acids would greatly help me.

In the attempt at a solution is my possible take on this challenge, my friend offered to check it for me and said he is certain that the second one is completely incorrect.

Translation: First equation find acid and the conjugate acid.
Second equation find the base and the conjugate base.
Relevant Equations
bronsted lowry conjugate acids and conjugate bases.
1) HCOOH + CN- ---> HCOOH- + HCN

2) H2O + HCO3- <===> H3O+ + CO3-2
image_2022-01-26_191049.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you quote the definition of conjugate acid and base? How do they differ?

Reaction 1 is not a balanced chemical equation (compare the number of hydrogen atoms on the left side of the reaction vs the right side of the reaction).

Likes Mayhem

Related to Bronsted-Lowery Help: Understanding HCOOH + CN- and H2O + HCO3- Reactions

1. What is the Bronsted-Lowery definition of an acid and a base?

The Bronsted-Lowery definition states that an acid is a substance that donates a proton (H+) while a base is a substance that accepts a proton.

2. How does the reaction between HCOOH and CN- occur?

In this reaction, HCOOH (formic acid) acts as an acid by donating a proton to CN- (cyanide ion), which acts as a base by accepting the proton. This forms the conjugate base of HCOOH, HCOO-, and the conjugate acid of CN-, HCN.

3. What is the role of water in the reaction between H2O and HCO3-?

In this reaction, water acts as a base by accepting a proton from HCO3- (bicarbonate ion), which acts as an acid by donating a proton. This forms the conjugate base of HCO3-, CO3^2-, and the conjugate acid of H2O, H3O+.

4. What is the overall equation for the reaction between HCOOH and CN-?

The overall equation is HCOOH + CN- → HCOO- + HCN.

5. How do I determine the direction of the reaction between H2O and HCO3-?

The direction of the reaction depends on the relative strengths of the acid and base. The stronger acid will donate a proton to the stronger base, forming the weaker conjugate acid and base. In this case, HCO3- is a stronger base than H2O, so the reaction will proceed in the forward direction to form H3O+ and CO3^2-.