Bubbles travelling through viscous liquids

In summary, the speaker is conducting an investigation on bubbles traveling through different viscous liquids. They encountered an anomaly where a bubble traveled faster than expected and after careful analysis, they concluded that it was due to the air left behind from previous bubbles forming a track. This phenomenon is similar to a skier traveling down a powder slope. The speaker is looking for a scientific explanation or term for this effect and is willing to share a video for further analysis. They also mention finding some papers on this topic that may provide some insight.
Jaime ortega
Hi,
Im doing a Invesitgation of bubbles traveling through liquids. I am blowing bubbles of fixed volume up different viscous liquids. I seem to have got a anomaly but I can't explain it
When recording one of the repeats in the foam bath I saw that the bubble rushed up the liquid. It took 1.4 seconds to travel 8cm, which was half the time compared, to the previous results I had taken. At first I simply thought that that bubble must have hit another bubble and thus having a larger volume the bubble accelerated up the tank. However in the video I took it is clear that there is no collision between any bubbles. I tried to analyse the video carefully and came to the assumption that when a bubble travels up a liquid inevitably some air will be left behind almost forming a track. Therefore if I immediately blow a bubble exactly through the same path as the previous bubble, little bubbles will start to merge to the bubble and thus making it accelerate. My analogy was like when a skier goes down a powder slope he will create tracks. If another skier comes down those tracks he will travel quicker. This is because there are fewer resistive forces acting on the bubble.
My question is if there is a specific name for this or if anybody can explain in a more scientific way.
If anybody is interested I could send them the video so you can analyse in more detail.
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I did a little searching and found a couple of papers on this topic. I don't know if it will help, but you can give them a read.
http://www.redalyc.org/pdf/620/62026895006.pdf
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.192.9665&rep=rep1&type=pdf

One thing to note from the first paper is the following part of the 1st paragraph:

Let us consider a train of bubbles rising unconfined through still liquid. Its rise velocity can be approximated by that of a single bubble plus the velocity defect caused by the wakes (Marks, 1973).

Might you be experiencing an upward motion of the water in the column caused by the previous bubbles?

Likes Jaime ortega

1. How do bubbles travel through viscous liquids?

Bubbles travel through viscous liquids due to the difference in density between the gas inside the bubble and the liquid surrounding it. The gas inside the bubble is less dense and therefore rises to the surface, creating a buoyant force that propels the bubble through the liquid.

2. What factors affect the speed of bubbles travelling through viscous liquids?

The speed of bubbles travelling through viscous liquids is affected by the viscosity of the liquid, the size of the bubble, and the temperature of the liquid. Higher viscosity and larger bubbles will result in slower bubble travel, while higher temperature can decrease viscosity and increase bubble speed.

3. How do bubbles behave when travelling through different types of viscous liquids?

Bubbles behave differently when travelling through different types of viscous liquids. In general, bubbles will travel slower through more viscous liquids and faster through less viscous liquids. Additionally, some liquids may have specific properties that can affect bubble behavior, such as surface tension or chemical interactions.

4. Can bubbles travel through non-Newtonian liquids?

Yes, bubbles can travel through non-Newtonian liquids, but their behavior may be different compared to travelling through Newtonian liquids. Non-Newtonian liquids have varying viscosity depending on factors such as pressure or shear stress, so bubbles may encounter resistance or acceleration as they travel through these liquids.

5. How can the study of bubbles travelling through viscous liquids be applied in real-world situations?

The study of bubbles travelling through viscous liquids has many practical applications. It can be used to understand and control processes such as mixing and dispersion in industrial and chemical processes. It is also important in fields such as medicine, where the movement of bubbles through viscous fluids in the body can affect drug delivery and other treatments.