Buckling Simulation: Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation discussed the objective of creating a simulation of a column buckling and the challenges in finding the correct shape of the buckled state. It was mentioned that linear theories such as Euler-Bernoulli beam theory and Timoshenko beam theory can identify the buckling load but are unable to determine the shape of the buckled state. It was suggested that nonlinear buckling may be necessary for this. The questions raised were about the use of a finite element solver, specifically NASTRAN, for producing the simulation. The conversation also mentioned the existence of a known post-buckled shape for uniform columns called the elastica.
casesam
Hi everyone,
My objective is to create a quantitatively accurate simulation of a column buckling. Ideally, I would like to apply a compressive axial force at or just above the critical load to an initially straight column (perhaps with a small perturbation) and see it transition from the unbuckled state to the first buckled mode. The column will not necessarily have a uniform cross-section.

I have found from studying Euler-Bernoulli beam theory and Timoshenko beam theory that these linear theories can identify the buckling load and provide dynamic equations, but they are indeterminate in finding, say, the correct shape of the buckled state. My understanding is that one must resort to nonlinear buckling for this.

My questions are:
1. Does this mean I need to use some finite element solver to produce this simulation?
2. If so, from what I have read NASTRAN (from autodesk) would be one option for producing this sort of simulation, is this correct? Any better options or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The post buckled shape of the uniform column has been known for a long time. It is called the elastica, and I'm sure you can find the full description on the Internet.

Likes Nidum

1. What is buckling simulation?

Buckling simulation is a computer-based analysis method that predicts the behavior of a structure when it is subjected to external loads, taking into account the effects of geometric imperfections and material properties. It is commonly used in structural engineering to assess the stability and strength of a structure.

2. How does buckling simulation work?

Buckling simulation uses mathematical models to simulate the behavior of a structure under different loading conditions. These models take into account factors such as material properties, geometric imperfections, and boundary conditions to predict the buckling load and mode of failure of the structure. The simulation results can be used to optimize the design of a structure and ensure its safety and stability.

3. What type of structures can be analyzed using buckling simulation?

Buckling simulation can be used to analyze a wide range of structures, including beams, columns, frames, plates, and shells. It is commonly used in the design of buildings, bridges, aerospace structures, and mechanical components.

4. What are the benefits of using buckling simulation?

Buckling simulation allows engineers to accurately predict the buckling behavior of a structure and identify potential failure modes. This can help to optimize the design, reduce material and construction costs, and ensure the safety and reliability of the structure.

5. What are the limitations of buckling simulation?

While buckling simulation is a powerful tool for structural analysis, it does have some limitations. It relies on accurate input data, such as material properties and geometric imperfections, and may not be suitable for extremely complex or dynamic structures. Additionally, the results of the simulation should always be verified through physical testing.