Calculating the conductivity of a solution of HCl and HAc

In summary, the problem requires calculating the specific conductivity and resistance of a cell containing 0.01 M HCl and 0.1 M acetic acid. The molar conductivity of HAc is known to be 5.14 cm2S/mol and the Ka of HAc is 1.795*10-5. The cell constant is also given as 0.5652. The question is how the conductivity of HAc is affected by adding a strong acid. The equations used are k = c Λm and R = Kcell /k, and it is suggested to use an ICE table to solve the problem.
Sabe

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the specific conductivity k and the resistance R of a cell containitng 0.01 M HCl and 0.1 M acetic acid (HAc).
I know the molar conductivity of HAc: Λm = k/c = 5.14 cm2S/mol.
I also know Ka (HAc) = 1.795 *10-5.
I know the cell constant Kcell = R*k = 0.5652.
(It may be ok to look up some constants for conductivity of HCl etc.)

What I'm struggling with is: How is the conductivity of the HAc affected by adding a strong acid?

Homework Equations

k = c Λm
R = Kcell /k

Physics news on Phys.org
Sabe said:
What I'm struggling with is: How is the conductivity of the HAc affected by adding a strong acid?

Do you know how to use ICE table? If so, problem is trivial.

Yes! I got it now, thank you :)

1. How do you calculate the conductivity of a solution of HCl and HAc?

The conductivity of a solution can be calculated by measuring the electrical conductivity of the solution using a conductivity meter. The conductivity is then converted to molarity using the concentration of the solution and the cell constant of the conductivity meter.

2. What is the formula for calculating the conductivity of a solution?

The formula for calculating the conductivity of a solution is σ = k x C, where σ is the conductivity, k is the cell constant of the conductivity meter, and C is the concentration of the solution in molarity.

3. How does the concentration of the solution affect the conductivity?

The conductivity of a solution is directly proportional to the concentration of the solution. This means that as the concentration increases, the conductivity also increases. This is because a higher concentration means more ions are present in the solution, allowing for better electrical conductivity.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of conductivity measurements?

The accuracy of conductivity measurements can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurities in the solution, and the condition of the conductivity meter. It is important to control these factors to ensure accurate results.

5. Can the conductivity of a solution change over time?

Yes, the conductivity of a solution can change over time. This can be due to factors such as the dissociation of the solute, changes in temperature, or the introduction of impurities. It is important to measure the conductivity of a solution as soon as possible after preparing it to get the most accurate results.