Build a Lightning Cloud with a 555 Timer | LED Flashing Help

In summary, building a Lightning Cloud with a 555 Timer is a fun and creative project that involves using a 555 timer chip and LED lights to create a flashing lightning effect. This project requires basic electronics knowledge and soldering skills, but detailed instructions and diagrams are readily available online. By following these instructions, you can create an impressive and unique piece of decorative lighting for your home or office.
Triple_E
Hello, I have been in the process of building a small lightning cloud out of Poly-Fil and some LED's. I have looked up on how to build flashing LED's with a 555 timer, and I have tried (many) times, yet every time I hook up the 9v battery, my LED either turns on, but does not flash, or doesn't come on at all until I turn my 10K pot all the way down. I have checked for loose connections, grounding issues, I cannot find any. I have triple and quad checked the diagram. I would really like to be able to use 2-3 lights that fade on and off somewhat quickly, but softly, as to look like lighting. I had bought a 4017 decade timer, in hopes of scattering the lights a little, but first I need to get this 555 to work.

I'm using a 9v battery (I would like to make it a 12v wall wart, if possible)
200uF cap
2n2222 transistor
1K Ohm resistor
400 Ohm for LED (calls for 370, but all I have)
10K Ohm pot to slow the rate of flashing.
(All components are Texas Instruments brand)

PS. I'm not using a breadboard of any kind. I'm (sadly) only able to solder this all together with wires without any kind of good mounting for it. I also bought a 1uf cap for pin 5 but I (stupidly) realized most diagrams call for .1 or even .01.Any kind of help would be immensely helpful! and I appreciate any input!The circuit I'm trying to make. http://www.instructables.com/id/Pulse-Generator-Using-a-555-Timer/?ALLSTEPS

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Link to diagram for your circuit?

You have not included enough information to trouble shoot the problem. Do you have a link to the circuit you are trying to build? If so please post it.

Triple_E said:
Hello, I have been in the process of building a small lightning cloud out of Poly-Fil and some LED's. I have looked up on how to build flashing LED's with a 555 timer, and I have tried (many) times, yet every time I hook up the 9v battery, my LED either turns on, but does not flash, or doesn't come on at all until I turn my 10K pot all the way down. I have checked for loose connections, grounding issues, I cannot find any. I have triple and quad checked the diagram. I would really like to be able to use 2-3 lights that fade on and off somewhat quickly, but softly, as to look like lighting. I had bought a 4017 decade timer, in hopes of scattering the lights a little, but first I need to get this 555 to work.

I'm using a 9v battery (I would like to make it a 12v wall wart, if possible)
200uF cap
2n2222 transistor
1K Ohm resistor
400 Ohm for LED (calls for 370, but all I have)
10K Ohm pot to slow the rate of flashing.
(All components are Texas Instruments brand)

PS. I'm not using a breadboard of any kind. I'm (sadly) only able to solder this all together with wires without any kind of good mounting for it. I also bought a 1uf cap for pin 5 but I (stupidly) realized most diagrams call for .1 or even .01.Any kind of help would be immensely helpful! and I appreciate any input!
Hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

none of your info tells us anything about how you wired it up ... chances are your problems are layout/wiring related

firstly, show us your circuit diagram you used
secondly show us some sharp and clear pix of your construction ... clear enough that we can read the text on the componentsDave

Likes Triple_E
Skyrocket said:
You have not included enough information to trouble shoot the problem. Do you have a link to the circuit you are trying to build? If so please post it.
rootone said:
Link to diagram for your circuit?

Yes! been trying to edit it in for a few. sorry about that.

Ok, This is a standard 555 astable oscillator The resistors and cap you are using will cause the LED to flash around 10Hz. This will appear as a fast flicker. This seems a little fast for the effect you seek. First question what strobe rate do you want?

Keep in mind, I understand that this is a VERY crude looking circuit I have made and this is not how it should be done (With a piece of sheet plastic) But this is all I have at the moment. But that's beside the point of why I'm not understanding why it is not working.

http://imgur.com/lqRLa29 http://imgur.com/lqRLa29

http://imgur.com/EGY3io2 http://imgur.com/EGY3io2

http://imgur.com/AEpWU4j http://imgur.com/AEpWU4j

Last edited by a moderator:
The 555 timer is very tough. I have put together circuits that worked with clip leads. I expect that The LED is flashing just fine, but too fast. What flash rate do you want. Right now, with a 1uf cap and 100kohm resistor the flash rate is 10 times a second.

Skyrocket said:
Ok, This is a standard 555 astable oscillator The resistors and cap you are using will cause the LED to flash around 10Hz. This will appear as a fast flicker. This seems a little fast for the effect you seek. First question what strobe rate do you want?

I was hoping for a 1-2 second delay between each flash, if possible. I was going to start with the cap and resistor I have and change them to my liking once I had it working. I have two semi-new PSU's that have anywhere from 100-3.5k uf caps in them (don't know if I can use them though?) I can get resistors as needed from my local electronics shop.

And thank you, sir/ma'am for your help.

Triple_E said:
I was hoping for a 1-2 second delay between each flash, if possible. I was going to start with the cap and resistor I have and change them to my liking once I had it working. I have two semi-new PSU's that have anywhere from 100-3.5k uf caps in them (don't know if I can use them though?) I can get resistors as needed.

And thank you, sir/ma'am for your help.
Your 100kohm resistor is way too small. If the cap stays the same then the resistor needs to be something larger than 1 meg ohm. At that resistance you may start to have current leakage problems. Try the larger resistor. But a better solution is to increase the cap to 10uf.

Likes Triple_E
Yeah, use the bigger cap, and then use a variable resistor in line with your fixed resistor.
See what works.

Likes Triple_E
You may want to get the circuit working with fixed resistors first. Try using fixed resistors instead of the pot until the circuit works. once it is flashing then you can play with variable resistors to adjust the flash rate.

Likes Triple_E
Okay, I replaced the cap with a 10uf and also replaced the pot with 100k fixed. Although I had noticed that when I had disconnected the battery earlier, the LED stopped coming on at all. Nothing had come loose and/or short circuited that I know of. 555 timer was cool, LED is fine (tested it)
Skyrocket said:
Just for grins. http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/flashing-led.html

Look at the video.

Gahh I wish I had a breadboard right now...haha.

Triple_E said:
Okay, I replaced the cap with a 10uf and also replaced the pot with 100k fixed. Although I had noticed that when I had disconnected the battery earlier, the LED stopped coming on at all. Nothing had come loose and/or short circuited that I know of. 555 timer was cool, LED is fine (tested it)

Gahh I wish I had a breadboard right now...haha.
Well I looked over the wiring. It is not easy with the black plastic in the way. But I can sort of trace the connections. It looks fine at first glance. This is a standard circuit straight from the manufacturers spec sheet of recommended circuits.

This is my last post. It is after 11 pm here.

Skyrocket said:
Well I looked over the wiring. It is not easy with the black plastic in the way. But I can sort of trace the connections. It looks fine at first glance. This is a standard circuit straight from the manufacturers spec sheet of recommended circuits.

I have done the same a dozen times, on half dozen different diagrams. Obviously the way I'm building these are wrong. The way I'm seeing the diagram or something. I'm going to be able to get a breadboard today, so I'm just going to get it to work on one of those and work from there.

I really appreciate your time trying to help me.

1. What is a 555 timer and how does it work?

The 555 timer is a commonly used integrated circuit in electronics. It is a versatile timer that can be used as a monostable, astable, or bistable multivibrator. The 555 timer works by using an internal voltage divider network to compare the voltage at the trigger pin to a reference voltage. When the trigger voltage is lower than the reference voltage, the output of the 555 timer is high. When the trigger voltage is higher than the reference voltage, the output is low.

2. What is a lightning cloud and how does it relate to the 555 timer?

A lightning cloud is a visual effect created by using LEDs (light emitting diodes) to simulate lightning bolts within a cloud-shaped structure. The 555 timer can be used to control the flashing of the LEDs, creating the illusion of lightning bolts. By adjusting the timing components of the 555 timer, the speed and pattern of the flashing LEDs can be controlled to create a realistic lightning effect.

3. What materials and components do I need to build a lightning cloud with a 555 timer?

To build a lightning cloud with a 555 timer, you will need a 555 timer IC, resistors, capacitors, LEDs, a breadboard or PCB, wires, and a power supply. You may also want to use a cloud-shaped structure, such as a foam ball or cotton batting, to house the LEDs and create the visual effect.

4. Can I adjust the flashing speed and pattern of the LEDs in the lightning cloud?

Yes, the speed and pattern of the flashing LEDs can be adjusted by changing the values of the timing components in the 555 timer circuit. For example, increasing the value of the capacitor will increase the time between flashes, while decreasing the value of the resistor will increase the frequency of the flashes. By experimenting with different values, you can create a customized lightning effect.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with a 555 timer and LEDs?

Yes, when working with any electronic components, it is important to take proper safety precautions. Make sure to use a power supply with the correct voltage and current for your circuit, and always double check your connections before turning on the power. It is also a good idea to wear safety glasses when working with LEDs, as they can be bright and potentially harmful to the eyes.