Build a Tennis Ball Launcher: Trebuchet vs Spring Cannon

In summary, a trebuchet or spring-powered cannon would be more accurate and reliable than an air cannon for this task.
yourignhere
Hey all, I need to build a launcher that is capable of throwing a tennis ball over a 1 meter high wall and hit a target 2 meters away. I realize there are some threads already discussing this, but my question is more based on the type of launcher. Would a trebuchet or a spring powered cannon be more accurate and reliable? We need to build this within a week's time, and the reliability and accuracy of the launcher is more important than the power. The angle also needs to be adjustable, so which of these devices would be easier to adjust the angle on? Thanks for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The accuracy and reliability of the designs depend more on your skill and available materials than on anything inherent to the design.
Similarly with the angle - all the designs can be built to adjust elevation and bearing.
So it is not possible to answer your question from the information supplied.

Considering the high lob vs short range, I'd pick something with more of a low-speed indirect fire design. Catapults and sling-shots. You should get together with someone and test several designs in prototype before settling on the one you build for real - if time is an issue, then check out what solutions others have tried.

I forgot to mention that the launcher has to be mechanical. This rules out the air cannon, so I am stuck between the spring cannon and the trebuchet. The distance that we set the launcher at is all up to us, so it can travel 20 meters before the wall, or 2 meters before the wall.

yourignhere said:
I forgot to mention that the launcher has to be mechanical. This rules out the air cannon
Damn! That also eliminates the nuclear option that I was about to suggest... :mad:

In actual fact, I agree with one of Simon's suggestions. Since this might, I suspect, be a school project, I'm not going to spoon-feed it to you. Think crossbow, bungee straps, slotted PVC pipe... feel free to throw in a Smurf and some whipped cream if that's what turns your crank...

Last edited:
use the two spinning wheels method of auto pitchers. gives you good speed control and accuracy. its a mechanical device

or go with a helium balloon a fan and some string : suspend the ball below the balloon with a slip knot and a length of string long enough to play out to the target use the fan to push the balloon over the target and pull the slip knot free to drop the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a trebuchet and a spring cannon for a tennis ball launcher?

A trebuchet is a type of catapult that uses a swinging arm to launch projectiles. It relies on the force of gravity to power the launch. A spring cannon, on the other hand, uses a coiled spring to store and release energy, propelling the projectile forward.

2. Which type of tennis ball launcher is more accurate?

This depends on various factors such as design, materials used, and skill of the builder. In general, a trebuchet may have a slight advantage in accuracy due to the smooth and consistent release provided by gravity. However, a well-designed spring cannon can also be very accurate.

3. Which type of tennis ball launcher can launch the ball at a greater distance?

A trebuchet is typically capable of launching a tennis ball at a greater distance compared to a spring cannon. This is because it can build up a higher amount of potential energy through its swinging arm and release it in a powerful and controlled manner.

4. Which type of tennis ball launcher requires more maintenance and repairs?

Both trebuchets and spring cannons can require maintenance and repairs depending on the design and frequency of use. However, due to its simpler design, a trebuchet may require less maintenance compared to a spring cannon which may have more moving parts that can wear out or break.

5. Is it possible to combine the features of a trebuchet and a spring cannon for a tennis ball launcher?

Yes, it is possible to combine the features of both types of launchers to create a hybrid design. This can result in a more powerful and accurate tennis ball launcher, but it may also be more complex and challenging to build.