Build Setup to Create Electric Damping Force

In summary, it is possible to build a setup that would cause a charged particle to feel a force proportional to its velocity, but it is not possible using only the electric field.
Malamala
Hello! Is it possible to build a setup (containing time dependent and independent electric fields), such that a charged particle will feel a force proportional to its velocity i.e. ##ma = -\alpha v##?

Likes tech99
Physics news on Phys.org
Baluncore said:
Magnetic deflection is proportional to velocity, but it is sideways.
Which direction do you want the force to operate ?
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jmcfatri/labs/magdefl.html
Sorry, I meant a damping like force, so in the opposite direction to its motion.

I don't think it can be done. You want a damping force like friction no matter what the direction of the velocity is. Electric fields are conservative. If the particle moves from A to B and then from B to A you need to reverse the field when the particle reverses direction which means you need to somehow sense the change of the particle's direction of motion as well as the speed. Sounds like a tall order to me because a passive electric field won't do the job.

Likes Delta2, Twigg and vanhees71
To second @kuruman, I don't think it's possible because a damping force is irreversible (it increases entropy). The Lorentz force is time-reversal invariant, so you're guaranteed you'll never get a damping force. The only way I could see this working is if you "somehow" scatter EM waves off the charged particle in a way that increases the entropy of the scattered wave while reducing the entropy of the charged particle, but conserves the entropy of the whole system (incident wave, scattered wave, and charged particle). For example, if you put a hot plasma in a colder blackbody oven, I imagine that the two will thermalize, cooling the plasma and heating the blackbody radiation.

Likes kuruman
It occurred to me that LIGO's mirror cooling scheme may actually satisfy what the OP is looking for.

Malamala said:
Is it possible to build a setup ... such that a charged particle will feel a force proportional to its velocity i.e. ma=−αv?
It's not possible using only the electric field, but it is possible if you have "something else" to measure the particle velocity in real time and you actively change the direction of the electric field to slow the particle down. This is, in a nutshell, what LIGO does to cool their kg-scale mirrors to an average quantum number of something like 10 IIRC. I guess you could call it a Maxwell's demon, but I'm scared now that I've said this because I use that term pretty loosely and I feel like a bunch of smarter folks are going to rip me a new one :oldtongue:

Likes vanhees71
Malamala said:
Hello! Is it possible to build a setup (containing time dependent and independent electric fields), such that a charged particle will feel a force proportional to its velocity i.e. ##ma = -\alpha v##?
Does this happen in a resistive material?

Likes Twigg

1. What is electric damping force?

Electric damping force is a type of damping force that is created by the interaction between an electric current and a magnetic field. It is often used in electrical systems to reduce unwanted vibrations and oscillations.

2. How is electric damping force created?

Electric damping force is created by passing an electric current through a conductor that is placed in a magnetic field. The interaction between the current and the magnetic field creates a force that opposes the motion of the conductor, resulting in damping.

3. What is the purpose of using electric damping force?

The main purpose of using electric damping force is to reduce or eliminate unwanted vibrations and oscillations in electrical systems. This can improve the stability and performance of the system and prevent damage to sensitive components.

4. How is electric damping force incorporated into a build setup?

Electric damping force can be incorporated into a build setup by using a combination of electrical and mechanical components. This may include a conductor, a magnetic field, and a mechanism for controlling the flow of electric current.

5. What are the benefits of using electric damping force?

Some of the benefits of using electric damping force include improved system stability, reduced wear and tear on mechanical components, and increased precision and control in electrical systems. It can also help to reduce noise and vibrations, making the system more comfortable for users.