Building a Cheap Faraday Cage in Bedroom

In summary, the next door neighbour has installed a DECT phone that transmits continually 24 hours a day and is causing health problems for the person living next to it. It was suggested to attach some small chicken wire mesh over the bedroom wall behind bedhead, but the neighbour is not interested in making any changes.
RFHealth
1. Suffer extreme symptoms from Microwave RF emissions cell phones, Wi FI, Cordless computers and RF Routers.

2. The next door neighbour has installed a Uniden DECT that transmits continually 24 hours a day. Our bedroom and the next door neighbours loungeroom is separated by a normal brick wall. The DECT base station is approximately 2 1/2 metres from the wall. Since the installation of the DECT my health has declined, suffering extreme headaches, migraines, eye and neck pain, exhaustion, sleepless nights, daytime sleepiness, and Tinnitus.

3. Have contacted necessary departments in regards to the dangers that I am experiencing, and because of the lack of law and unfounded proof, there is nothing I can do but suffer the extremities of the emissions from the DECT base and phone.

It was suggested to attach some small chicken wire mesh over the bedroom wall behind bedhead.

Has anyone any solution to this problem and how to put a barrier up between my bedroom and the next door neighbour's DECT base station and phone continuous emissions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you mean a Faraday cage. That works only for static fields.
See: http://www.mos.org/sln/toe/skineffect.html

This may be a little off-topic, but if it's your neighbour who installed the device then perhaps the easiest way out (though there's no physics and hence no fun involved) would be to talk to them and see if you can work out a compromise.

Defennder said:
I don't think you mean a Faraday cage. That works only for static fields.
See: http://www.mos.org/sln/toe/skineffect.html

This may be a little off-topic, but if it's your neighbour who installed the device then perhaps the easiest way out (though there's no physics and hence no fun involved) would be to talk to them and see if you can work out a compromise.

Hi Defennder,

Thanks for your reply. But, I have tried to convince our next door neighbour of the dangers of DECT, and as sad as it is, they have no compassion, commonsense, or understanding of the dangers of DECT and my health problems. They could not understand that the phone is transmitting all the time, and because they don't suffer the illness that I do, then it's harmless.

I tried to get them to be reasonable to change to another cordless phone that only transmits when being used. I even offered to compensate. But, all fell on deaf ears, they are not interested, because this DECT phone they are using has pretty lights, and a multitude of functions that they would NEVER use. A simple exchange would solve the problem. They wouldn't even consider to site the base station in another room away from near our dividing wall.

All commonsense was thrown out of the window. They suggested that I sell my unit and move out because they have installed a $200 phone into their unit.

I was speaking to a person in a government office, and they suggested that if use chicken wire over the complete wall that separates our unit that it should shield me from the RF when sleeping.

Any idea if that would solve the problem, as I don't want to cause a war with our next door neighbours.

I have exactly the same problem except i have two adjoining owners blasting away with this man made high radio frequency radiation
On one side is a retired elderly couple they are hadly ever home because they are elderly have ill health and so they stay at their childrens place most of time but their Dect phone transmits High Radio Frequency microwave radiation continuously
on the other side its young children but the family has gone completely berserk
Wireless everything
Internet
printer
mouse keyboard GPS
WiFi
Dect phones
wireless baby monitors
AV sender
Wireless DVd player

and although a long way from airport we are directly under flight path of planes so its continuous radar radiation
I would be most grateful if someone can give us some ideas on how to build bedroom Faraday cage
sbatrouney@yahoo.com

I understand your concern about the potential health effects of microwave RF emissions from various electronic devices. While there is still ongoing research on the impact of these emissions on human health, it is important to take precautionary measures to minimize exposure.

Building a Faraday cage in your bedroom can be a potential solution to block these emissions. However, it is important to note that simply attaching chicken wire mesh over the bedroom wall may not be effective in fully blocking the emissions. A Faraday cage works by redirecting the electromagnetic waves around the enclosed area, therefore it needs to be properly designed and constructed to be effective.

I would suggest consulting with a professional engineer or electrician who has experience in building Faraday cages. They can help you design and construct a proper cage that will effectively block the emissions from the DECT base station and phone.

In addition, it may also be helpful to communicate with your neighbor about your concerns and work together to find a solution. They may be willing to relocate the base station or switch to a different type of phone that emits less RF radiation.

Lastly, I would also recommend monitoring your symptoms and consulting with a healthcare professional if they persist. It is important to take care of your health and make informed decisions about your exposure to RF emissions.

What is a Faraday Cage and why do I need one in my bedroom?

A Faraday Cage is a container or enclosure made of conductive material that blocks external electric fields. It is used to protect electronic devices from electromagnetic interference (EMI) and can also be used to shield sensitive information from being intercepted. Building a Faraday Cage in your bedroom can provide a safe space for your electronics and protect them from potential damage or hacking.

What materials do I need to build a cheap Faraday Cage in my bedroom?

To build a cheap Faraday Cage in your bedroom, you will need a large cardboard box, aluminum foil, and duct tape. You can also use a metal trash can or a metal filing cabinet if you have one available. The key is to have a conductive material that completely surrounds the electronic devices you want to protect.

How do I build a Faraday Cage in my bedroom?

To build a Faraday Cage in your bedroom, first line the inside of the cardboard box with aluminum foil, making sure to cover all sides and corners. You can use duct tape to secure the foil to the box. Place your electronic devices inside the box and close the lid. If you are using a metal trash can or filing cabinet, simply place the devices inside and close the lid or door. Make sure there are no gaps in the metal enclosure for the best protection.

Will a homemade Faraday Cage in my bedroom really protect my electronic devices?

A homemade Faraday Cage may not provide the same level of protection as a professionally made one, but it can still be effective in blocking out most external electric fields. However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of the Faraday Cage depends on the quality of materials used and how well it is constructed. It is always best to consult a professional if you need higher levels of protection.

Are there any risks or precautions I should take when using a Faraday Cage in my bedroom?

One potential risk of using a Faraday Cage in your bedroom is the possibility of trapping radio frequencies inside the enclosure. This can interfere with cell phone reception and other wireless devices. It is important to only use the Faraday Cage when necessary and to remove your devices from the cage when they are not in use. Additionally, make sure to properly ground the Faraday Cage to avoid any potential safety hazards.