Building a Flying Car from Frisbie Aerodynamic Principles

In summary: The car should have a mechanism that can adapt to the trajectory, similar to how a modern fighter jet can change its speed and altitude.
Beginner1
MENTOR Note: Post moved from General Discussion to Aerospace Engineering

How did you find PF?: I found PF because of a late night idea I had when I was bored, but I have no idea how to do it so I was looking up information when I came across this app.

I'm sure most of you guys on here know simple flight but the example of a frisbee and the 4 rules of flight gave me an idea for a flying car: on the bottom of this car it is frisbee shaped so it will naturally have all 4 flight rules, for the thrust to get the car in the air will be placed on the bottom (1 in the front and 1 in the back) and the thrusters that move the car forward is place in the back and the breaks use a thruster in the front of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_20221231_132532.jpg
    IMG_20221231_132532.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

While its true, the frisbee embodies many aerodynamic flight principles just pasting it to the bottom of a car body does not make the car a flying car no matter how much thrust you apply.

Here's Sara Hummel's thesis on Frisbee flight that gets into its aerodynamic principles:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...nxkZ3Jlc291cmNlczJ8Z3g6MWQ2ZWJmOWIzODYyNTdmNA

Here's some examples of flying cars for inspiration:

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, dlgoff, Lnewqban and 2 others
What you are interested in is also very interesting to the military. Keep in mind that a frisbee does not need to lift any heavy weight, but it does have to work while spinning. That makes it very different from a flying car that weighs more and always points forward. So you should consider how to get a lot more wing facing forward. Here is an effort by DARPA and Lockheed Martin to attach a wing to various cargos, including a small jeep (more like a dune buggy). One thought is to rotate the wing so that it points front and back while the jeep drives.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, Lnewqban, berkeman and 2 others
https://www.boeing.com/features/innovation-quarterly/2021/09/boeing-gofly.page

The Boeing Gofly competition offers a $1 million prize for a flying car that meets their criteria. The completion has been going on since 2017. The link is 27 months old, and the most recent I found. It says:
So far, 855 teams across 103 countries have vied for the $1 million grand prize. New teams are still welcome to join.

That means you too are welcome to join.

Likes FactChecker
Welcome, @Beginner1 !

What is your plan on harmonizing human comfort and maneuverability with the natural tendency of spinning frisbees to resist changes from the launch dictated trajectory?

1. How does a Frisbie's aerodynamic design contribute to building a flying car?

The aerodynamic design of a Frisbie, also known as a flying disc, allows it to fly through the air with minimal resistance and maximum lift. This same principle can be applied to a flying car, allowing it to achieve lift and maneuver through the air efficiently.

2. What materials would be used to build a flying car based on Frisbie aerodynamic principles?

The materials used to build a flying car would depend on the specific design and engineering requirements. However, lightweight and durable materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, and titanium are commonly used in aircraft construction and would likely be used in a flying car as well.

3. How would a flying car based on Frisbie aerodynamic principles be powered?

There are a few different options for powering a flying car, including electric, hybrid, or traditional fuel engines. The power source would depend on the specific design and engineering choices, but it would need to be lightweight and powerful enough to lift and propel the vehicle through the air.

4. What are the potential challenges of building a flying car using Frisbie aerodynamic principles?

Some potential challenges of building a flying car based on Frisbie aerodynamic principles could include safety concerns, regulatory hurdles, and technical complexities. It would also require extensive testing and development to ensure the vehicle is stable and efficient in flight.

5. How close are we to having a functional flying car based on Frisbie aerodynamic principles?

While there have been some prototypes and concept designs for flying cars, we are still a long way from having a fully functional and commercially available vehicle based on Frisbie aerodynamic principles. The technology and engineering required for such a vehicle are complex and will likely take many years of development and testing before it becomes a reality.