Downforce-aerodynamics-fluid dynamics *Challenge*

As the floor is accelerated down, the pressure drops. This lowers the pressure differential across the car and counteracts the lift.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of creating downforce on a car without using traditional methods such as an air dam or spoiler. The idea is to accelerate the air flow under the car to create a low pressure region, counteracting the lift caused by the high pressure over the top of the car. This approach was used in F1 cars in the 1980s and the speaker is interested in experimenting with it without any rules or regulations to abide by. They compare it to using two spoons in water with a string as a fulcrum, and believe that this method could potentially be used in conjunction with
Iceracer33
In basic car aerodynamics car manufactures know the basic design in every car creates lift. Let's take the Prius for example, very aerodynamic but does not have any downforce due to the shape of the vehicle (air travels farther on top of the car) being shaped like a wing of an airplane. My challenge is to take away length of an air wave and replace it with pressure to make downforce on that same vehicle without using the typical air dam or spoiler in front. Let me explain, I believe I may be able to produce downforce by 1. Ramping air (accelerating) under the car at the front to create a higher pressure under the car. 2. Flat bottom with or without a slight rake to the car 3. A rear diffuser.

Now wait, before you go on the "do it this way because it works" train I would like to express that "I know" and "I don't care" about that at all, I know that works and works well but that does not answer my question.

Hear is my equation: take the Prius, let's say it looks like a wing and will produce lift, okay. Fluid dynamics says if you create a high enough pressure under the car it will produce downforce (even the weather man knows high pressure will go to low pressure) I may have said that backwards. "Bernoulli's principle".

WITHOUT reducing air (air dam or spoiler) and only "accelerating" air can you make downforce on that car?

F1 cars back in the 80's used this same principal and only stopped using it because the rules told them so. I have no rules to abide by because this is my own experiment and will not race in any certain class.
So, the way I see this is like this: first take two spoons and tape them together so you have a fulcrum and an egg. If you put them in water with a string at the end of the fulcrum, the spoons will fall (gravity). Now accelerate the water to where the spoons are at least at a 45degree angle (still gravity kicks in) without any floor or ceiling being a part of the equation. Now, without moving the floor move the ceiling down slowly toward the spoons. At some point the spoons will want to be "sucked" twords the ceiling. Now acelerate the ceiling like it was the road under you (creating even higher pressure), wouldn't the spoons want to stick to the ceiling?

Can I create this even in some small fashion on my car and "then" add the extra stuff to create even more downforce without sacrificing ride height? I know that adding a spoiler, shocks, tires and all that other stuff works and I don't discredit that at all but again, that doesn't answer the "air pressure" question. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You counter the lift due the low pressure over the top of the car by creating a low pressure region by accelerating the flow under the car, not a high pressure one.

Likes berkeman

1. What is downforce in aerodynamics?

Downforce is the downward force that is created by the movement of air over a surface. In the context of aerodynamics, it refers to the force that pushes a vehicle or object down towards the ground, increasing the grip and stability of the vehicle.

2. How is downforce generated?

Downforce is generated through the use of aerodynamic components such as wings, spoilers, and diffusers. These components are designed to shape the airflow around the vehicle, creating areas of low pressure that result in a downward force.

3. What is the relationship between downforce and fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the movement of fluids, such as air. In the context of downforce and aerodynamics, it is important to understand how air flows over and around a vehicle in order to create the desired amount of downforce. This involves studying the shape and design of the vehicle, as well as the properties of air and how it behaves under different conditions.

4. How does downforce affect a vehicle's performance?

Downforce plays a crucial role in a vehicle's performance, particularly in racing. It helps to increase the grip and stability of the vehicle, allowing it to corner and brake more effectively. This can lead to faster lap times and better overall performance on the track.

5. What are some challenges in designing a vehicle for optimal downforce?

One of the main challenges in designing a vehicle for optimal downforce is finding the balance between downforce and drag. While downforce is important for performance, too much of it can create excessive drag, which can slow the vehicle down. Another challenge is creating a design that is stable and predictable, as too much downforce can make a vehicle difficult to handle at high speeds.