Building a Low Power DiY marine bluetooth speaker set

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for speakers for a boat that are not too big but can still produce a strong sound. The speaker should be 1x12 and have bluetooth capability, with the power coming from an external source to avoid draining the boat battery. The conversation also mentions considering a DIY project, asking for suggestions and improvements, and questioning the decision to DIY instead of purchasing a commercial solution.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
My dad has been asking about some speakers for his boat, something that will move a bit of air, not too big though. I'm thinking 1x12. He also wants it bluetooth and powered externally, so it doesn't drain the boat battery.

So I'm thinking 1x12 speaker in a small box that can fit inside the compartments in the boat, psoc hookup for bluetooth, and then the real question is power. Spacially I think a car battery is just too big, powerwise I think something like an RC battery is too small.

Thinking of this as a DIY project, what suggestions/advice/improvements do you guys have?

Engineering news on Phys.org
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
My dad has been asking about some speakers for his boat, something that will move a bit of air, not too big though. I'm thinking 1x12. He also wants it bluetooth and powered externally, so it doesn't drain the boat battery.

So I'm thinking 1x12 speaker in a small box that can fit inside the compartments in the boat, psoc hookup for bluetooth, and then the real question is power. Spacially I think a car battery is just too big, powerwise I think something like an RC battery is too small.

Thinking of this as a DIY project, what suggestions/advice/improvements do you guys have?
Why DIY instead of an existing commercial solution? What kind of wattage and battery life are you looking for? I'm seeing 12" bluetooth speakers on Amazon (with batteries) starting at $90.

1. How do I choose the right components for a low power marine bluetooth speaker set?

To build a low power marine bluetooth speaker set, you will need to carefully select the components that are suitable for use in a marine environment. This includes choosing waterproof and corrosion-resistant materials, as well as low power consumption components that will prolong the battery life of your speaker set.

2. What tools and equipment do I need to build a low power marine bluetooth speaker set?

To build a low power marine bluetooth speaker set, you will need basic tools such as a screwdriver, wire cutters, and a soldering iron. You will also need a multimeter to test and troubleshoot your circuit, as well as a drill to make holes for mounting the components.

3. How do I ensure that my marine bluetooth speaker set is safe to use?

To ensure the safety of your marine bluetooth speaker set, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the component manufacturers. You should also use waterproof and insulated materials for wiring and connections, and regularly check and maintain your speaker set to prevent any potential hazards.

4. Can I use a rechargeable battery for my low power marine bluetooth speaker set?

Yes, you can use a rechargeable battery for your low power marine bluetooth speaker set. However, make sure to choose a battery with a low self-discharge rate and a high energy density to maximize the battery life of your speaker set.

5. How can I improve the sound quality of my low power marine bluetooth speaker set?

To improve the sound quality of your low power marine bluetooth speaker set, you can use high-quality speakers and amplifiers, as well as add sound dampening materials to reduce vibrations and distortions. You can also experiment with different speaker placements and enclosures to achieve the best sound output.