Building a Magnetic Motor Using a Computer Fan

In summary, the conversation discussed an individual's attempt to create a magnetic motor using a computer fan and neodymium magnets, based on a video they saw on YouTube. However, it was explained that fixed permanent magnets cannot generate enough energy to spin the fan and that creating a gear system would not work either. The concept of a magnetic coupling was also mentioned. It was emphasized that perpetual motion machines are not allowed as they violate the laws of physics. The conversation ended with a reminder that religious debates and pseudoscience, such as perpetual motion, are not allowed on the forum.
Vincent Punabantu
I am try to build a magnetic motor using a computer fan on the basis of a video I saw on YouTube. I have placed 4 neodymium magnets at the edges of the fans frame. However the fan has failed to spin from the magnetic field created by the magnets. How can I find the correct orientation in order for the fan to spin due to the magnetic field provided by the magnets
IMG-20170209-WA0003.jpeg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fixed permanent magnets won't make your fan spin. There is no "correct orientation". Don't trust random youtube videos promoting nonsense.

Then would creating a gear system work instead, which changes the position of the permanent magnets

If you put your magnets on a different fan and power that, you can use it to rotate your fan. That is the concept of a magnetic coupling.

No matter what you do, in order to have anything moving constantly you'll need an external power source. Energy is conserved, and there are always losses due to friction.

Likes Vincent Punabantu
A computer fan is an (electro)magnetic motor. It has permanent magnets, and you apply an electric current to create rotary motion.

If you are trying to create motion with magnets only, and no outside power source, just stop now. That violates what we know about physics.

Likes Vincent Punabantu
Thank you I'll look into that and make modifications

Yes, this is an attempted perpetual motion machine, which violates the laws of physics and rules of this forum. Thread locked.

1. How does a magnetic motor using a computer fan work?

A magnetic motor using a computer fan works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. It consists of a magnet, a coil of wire, and a power source. When electricity is passed through the coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnet, causing it to spin and generating motion.

2. Can I build a magnetic motor using any type of computer fan?

In theory, any type of computer fan can be used to build a magnetic motor. However, certain factors such as the strength of the magnet and the size and power of the fan may affect the efficiency and performance of the motor. It is recommended to use a high-quality fan and magnet for optimal results.

3. What materials do I need to build a magnetic motor using a computer fan?

To build a magnetic motor using a computer fan, you will need a computer fan, a strong magnet, a coil of wire, a power source (such as a battery or power supply), and basic tools for assembling the motor. You may also need additional materials for securing the fan and magnet in place.

4. Is building a magnetic motor using a computer fan difficult?

Building a magnetic motor using a computer fan can be a simple and fun project for those with basic knowledge of electronics and mechanics. However, it may require some trial and error to achieve optimal results and may not be a suitable project for beginners.

5. What are the potential applications of a magnetic motor using a computer fan?

A magnetic motor using a computer fan can have various applications, such as powering small devices or as a demonstration of electromagnetic principles. It can also be used as a renewable energy source in certain situations, although it may not be as efficient as other types of motors.