Building a Mousetrap Car for High School Physics Class

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who has been assigned to create a mousetrap car that can go forward and backwards using only a mouse trap as a source of power. They are looking for suggestions and have already checked the web, including a Wikipedia article, but have not found help for the specific requirements of their project. They are advised to look again, and a link is provided as a potential resource.
CGC0805
Member has been advised to post such question in the homework forums in the future.
I am in a high school physics class and have been recently assigned a mouse trap. We were given a mouse trap, that is all, and sent out on our own to create one. The requirements for this specific mousetrap car are to go forward 3 meters, then backwards 2 meters, and finally forward three meters again.
The mouse trap has to be our only source of power and we cannot use a rat trap. Any Suggestions would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked on the web? There is even a Wikipedia article.

Likes berkeman
Yes I did but it doesn't help with the idea of forwards backwards then forwards again

1. How do I choose the materials for my mousetrap car?

Choosing the right materials for your mousetrap car is crucial for its success. It is recommended to use lightweight and sturdy materials such as balsa wood, cardboard, and plastic wheels. Avoid using heavy materials like metal, as it will slow down your car's speed.

2. How do I calculate the distance my mousetrap car will travel?

To calculate the distance your mousetrap car will travel, you will need to know the length of the lever arm and the distance between the lever arm and the axle. You can also use the formula d = (L x π x r) / N, where d is the distance, L is the length of the lever arm, r is the radius of the wheel, and N is the number of rotations the wheels make.

3. What is the best way to design the chassis for my mousetrap car?

The chassis of your mousetrap car should be designed to be as aerodynamic as possible. This means reducing any unnecessary weight and minimizing drag. A sleek and streamlined design will help your car travel further and faster.

4. How do I make sure my mousetrap car is properly aligned?

Proper alignment is crucial for the success of your mousetrap car. Make sure that the wheels are aligned straight and parallel to each other. You can also use a ruler or protractor to ensure that the axle is perpendicular to the chassis. This will help your car travel in a straight line without veering off course.

5. What safety precautions should I take when building a mousetrap car?

When building a mousetrap car, it is important to take safety precautions to avoid any accidents. Make sure to handle sharp objects carefully, wear protective gear like gloves and goggles, and always work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to follow instructions carefully and ask for help if needed.