Building a muon Cherenkov detector

In summary, the OP had an idea to use a Hamamatsu pmt and an old Brandenburg pmt HV power supply to detect muons using a paint can as a container. However, it was pointed out that this method is highly inefficient and there are many factors that could affect the results. The OP has since realized the limitations of their idea and the thread has been locked for moderation.
a_cool_username
TL;DR Summary
In the boredom of everything being shut down, I have begun ordering materials to build a cosmic ray muon detector that uses Cherenkov radiation. I am new to this forum and thought my project would make a good thread so I will update this as I progress.
So far I have an R928 Hamamatsu pmt from ebay, that I believe will be good since it has UV glass, and the majority of the photons should be in the UV range. I also have an old Brandenburg pmt HV power supply but need a BNC connector to use it. I already have a good rigol oscilloscope. Soon I will be reading how to properly set up my electronics for a pmt and will take some baseline measurements. I am waiting on a one gallon paint can which will be the container, and a BNC connector for the power supply. The plan is to get it all working and tested with a low current in an LED then, take a measurement in the empty can with just air over an ample time period then compare with distilled water in the can. The interior of the paint can will be white to increase the chance of detecting photons. Any suggestions or known pitfalls to avoid would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this a highly inefficient way to detect muons? Even if you have an event, how would you know that it was caused by a muon?

why can't you just build a cloud chamber and be able to detect muons and more?

Zz.

Have you estimated your signal yield? And compared it to your dark current?

a_cool_username said:
ZapperZ-Yes I'm sure this an inefficient way to detect muons, but then I wouldn't have the added benefit of surpassing the speed of light in water to produce Cherenkov radiation. I suppose if I get it working I could get some readings with shielding and maybe take it to a mountain for a day and see if I can compare to theory and other's results.

Then I don't understand why you are doing this. Are you trying to detect muons, or just simply the satisfaction of detecting something moving faster than light in a medium?

I'm an experimentalist. When you set out to do something, there is usually a very clear purpose and reason. I don't see it here.

And I still question how you'd know if you're detecting muons and not other effects as well. Moving it to "a mountain" doesn't cut it because you're changing your environment, not just altitude. There are many other things that can cause Cerenkov radiation in water.

BTW, you only have ONE pmt? What kind of coverage do you think you'd get out of that detector? This is before you consider the quantum efficiency of that pmt in the first place. This adds to why I said that this is a highly inefficient way to detect muons. A cloud chamber not only gets you that, but you can also detect a whole lot more.

The reason and goal on why you are doing this is very vague and uncertain.

Zz.

Before you order anything you should make a rough estimate how plausible this is. Find the PMT hit rate without any signal. Estimate your signal yield from muons. If the latter is orders of magnitude lower, you'll never "detect" muons. You'll have some signals that are from muons, but you can't ever tell that they exist at all because you are drowned by noise.

a_cool_username said:
I can't haphazardly try to do my own experiments?

You can do whatever you want. But there is no guarantee it will work. In this case, it will not.

Do what you want. But it won't ever work.

It seems that the OP has deleted a bunch of his posts.

mfb said:
Before you order anything you should make a rough estimate how plausible this is

He says he's already bought the PMT. I agree, he should have asked first, and we could have helped him design something that might work. But given that at best he's looking at 300 noise pulses per signal, there's no way he can ever make this work.

Thread is locked for Moderation...

Thread will stay locked. The OP has realized that what he wanted to do won't work. Thanks everybody for trying to help him.

Last edited:

1. What is a muon Cherenkov detector?

A muon Cherenkov detector is a type of particle detector used to detect and measure high-energy particles, specifically muons. It works by detecting the faint flashes of light, known as Cherenkov radiation, produced when high-energy particles travel through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium.

2. How does a muon Cherenkov detector work?

A muon Cherenkov detector typically consists of a large tank filled with a transparent medium, such as water or ice, and lined with photomultiplier tubes (PMTs). When a high-energy particle, such as a muon, passes through the medium, it produces Cherenkov radiation, which is then detected by the PMTs. The timing and intensity of the light flashes can be used to determine the properties of the particle, such as its energy and direction of travel.

3. What are the applications of a muon Cherenkov detector?

Muon Cherenkov detectors have a wide range of applications in particle physics research, including studying the properties of high-energy particles, such as cosmic rays and neutrinos, and searching for new particles and phenomena. They are also used in medical imaging for cancer treatment and in security systems for detecting illicit materials.

4. What are the challenges in building a muon Cherenkov detector?

Building a muon Cherenkov detector can be a complex and challenging task, as it requires precise timing and calibration of the PMTs, as well as a stable and transparent medium. The detector must also be shielded from external sources of light and background radiation to reduce noise and improve the accuracy of the measurements.

5. What are the benefits of using a muon Cherenkov detector?

Muon Cherenkov detectors offer several benefits over other types of particle detectors. They have a high sensitivity and can detect particles with energies ranging from a few hundred MeV to several PeV. They also have a large detection area and can be used to study particles over a wide range of energies. Additionally, they are relatively low-cost compared to other types of detectors, making them a popular choice for many research projects.