Building a Resume for internship

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to include their experiences and accomplishments on their resume. They have worked at various places such as McDonald's, Roundtable, and as a Lab tech at their university. They have also worked on a project with a professor and participated in a competition where they received 3rd place. They are unsure of how to include this on their resume and whether or not to mention concurrent enrollment in programming courses. They are open to any tips and suggestions on how to improve their resume.
Lawrencel2
Hey guys,
My advisor wants me to send him my resume for next week and I am a little nervous that i won't have anything to put. I've been employed at Mcdonalds, Roundtable, and i also work as a Lab tech at my univ. (setting up lower division labs). I was also a grader for a year.​
Over Spring/summer I had also worked on a Project with my professor and we submitted it to an apparatus competition For AAPT in Philadelphia and we took 3rd place. I Was also the Representative that he sent to be at the poster session. I am sure that is something that i would want on a resume but what do i refer to that as? Does that count as a publication? Well there was actually two paper written off of one apparatus. I guess i don't know how to put that on my resume properly. I want it to sound really good! So i was hoping for some tips on what exactly to call it? do i describe my job on the apparatus assembly/design?​

I also don't have any Programming experience, but i am going to be taking a circuits course and a python course this semester, so should i mention anything about concurrent enrollment in a programming course.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any advice on how to make my resume look good and what to include would be great! Thanks!It sounds like you have a lot of great experiences and accomplishments to showcase on your resume. I would suggest that when you describe the project you worked on with your professor, you include it under its own heading such as "Research Projects" or "Projects". Make sure to include details about the project, such as the title of the paper(s), who the professor was that you worked with, the competition you participated in, and/or any awards or recognitions you received. You can also include a brief description of your role on the project and the apparatus assembly/design work you did. As for including programming experience, you can definitely mention that you are taking concurrent enrollment courses in Python and Circuits. Depending on the job or graduate program you're applying for, this could be helpful in showing your interest in expanding your knowledge and skills. Finally, I would recommend having someone else review your resume to get a second opinion before you submit it to your advisor. Good luck!

1. How do I format my resume for an internship?

When formatting your resume for an internship, it is important to keep it clean and professional. Use a standard font and font size, and make sure the layout is easy to read. Use headings and bullet points to organize your information, and include relevant sections such as education, work experience, skills, and any relevant extracurricular activities.

2. What should I include in my resume for an internship?

Your internship resume should include your contact information, education, work experience (if any), relevant skills, and any relevant extracurricular activities. Make sure to highlight any achievements or accomplishments that are relevant to the internship you are applying for.

3. How long should my resume be for an internship?

Ideally, your internship resume should be one page in length. This will allow you to include all the necessary information without overwhelming the reader with too much information. However, if you have extensive experience or relevant achievements, it is acceptable to have a two-page resume.

4. How can I make my resume stand out for an internship?

To make your resume stand out for an internship, you can tailor it to the specific company or position you are applying for. Research the company and the internship description to understand what they are looking for, and highlight your relevant skills and experiences. You can also include a summary or objective statement at the top of your resume to showcase your goals and qualifications.

5. Is it necessary to include a cover letter with my internship resume?

While it is not always necessary, including a cover letter with your internship resume can help you stand out and showcase your interest in the position. A cover letter allows you to personalize your application and explain why you are a good fit for the internship. It is also a great opportunity to highlight any relevant experiences or skills that may not be included in your resume.