Building a Self-Contained Egg Tower Device: Grade 12 Physics ISU Project

In summary, for a Grade 12 Physics ISU, the task is to build a self-contained device that can pick up a raw egg and place it safely on a table 1m away, then continue 1m past the table without cracking or breaking the egg. The device must fit in a standard door frame and cannot be adjusted once in motion. Ideas suggested include using a motor, a windup system with springs, or a cam mechanism. The latest update is that the device will have to go around the table instead of fitting under it.
Sandro Romualdez

Homework Statement

For my Grade 12 Physics ISU, basically I have to build a self-contained device (Can complete the task on its own after setting it up) using physics that can pick up an raw egg inside an egg cup and place safely it on a table/tower 1m away then continue 1m past the table. The egg can't have any cracks or breaks, ideally, when it is on the table. I can use any materials (Electronics are allowed) except dangerous stuff like fireworks, etc. The egg cannot be adjusted in any way before the device is in motion during the test. The size guideline given to us is only that the design has to fit in a standard door frame.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was speculating the idea of using falling masses on one end of a pulley system to lift up the egg like a forklift and let it roll along the contraption to fall on the table. As for the motion of the device, I could use a motor, or even a precise push or something like a mousetrap.

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas in which I could look into Any possible designs or concepts that could help.

Attached is a diagram to help illustrate the project. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the diagram.

Attachments

• Egg Cup Diagram.jpg
    Egg Cup Diagram.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 458
A motor sounds more reliable than a pulley system (more control over the speed).
Can you pick up the egg cup as well?

Likes Sandro Romualdez
mfb said:
A motor sounds more reliable than a pulley system (more control over the speed).
Can you pick up the egg cup as well?
Yup, the egg cup can be picked up as well. It can be left behind or brought along with any of the machine's parts to be put on the table

Hi so an update to this problem, so my physics teacher was telling me that using motors will take awhile to test, so I should start early to get the proper settings. Also, my forklift design has the problem that it will hit the table's surface as it moves towards it, so it cannot move past. Does anyone else have any concepts or ideas in which I can apply to my current idea, or any new ideas that I could look into? I'm really having trouble with this and would appreciate any help!

I'm a bit unclear about the req's.

The egg must be placed on the table, and then ... be moved 1m past the table?
Do you mean 'past' as in horizontally, or vertically?

Likes Sandro Romualdez
DaveC426913 said:
I'm a bit unclear about the req's.

The egg must be placed on the table, and then ... be moved 1m past the table?
Do you mean 'past' as in horizontally, or vertically?
Sorry for the vagueness. The egg must be placed on the table then the machine (without the egg) will have to move 1m past the table. It will have to pass under the table ideally to make it easy

Likes DaveC426913
I'd think using a windup system might be simpler. Springs or coils.

The advantage of that is that you might have a working model sooner, which you can then tweak at-leisure.
The disadvantage of that is that it's not as forgiving as a motor might be. A motor will likely have way more power than you need to accomplish the task, giving you plenty of room for error.Naw ... Motors are cheap and easy to come by nowdays. Just not worth it to explore more novel propulsion systems.

Likes Sandro Romualdez
DaveC426913 said:
I'd think using a windup system might be simpler. Springs or coils.

The advantage of that is that you might have a working model sooner, which you can then tweak at-leisure.
The disadvantage of that is that it's not as forgiving as a motor might be. A motor will likely have way more power than you need to accomplish the task, giving you plenty of room for error.Naw ... Motors are cheap and easy to come by nowdays. Just not worth it to explore more novel propulsion systems.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've decided to use springs as my system, and went out and purchased a few sizes to test out.

I'm still having trouble finding a workaround for the design itself however, for it to place the egg on the table and then pass it, as my current design will place the egg but won't be able to continue.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks again

Something that can move downwards? You'll need some mechanism to lift the egg anyway, that could also go down again.

Likes Sandro Romualdez
Sandro Romualdez said:
'm still having trouble finding a workaround for the design itself however, for it to place the egg on the table and then pass it, as my current design will place the egg but won't be able to continue.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks again
Disclaimer: I've never done egg experiments in school, so this is all by the seat of my pants. Others may have a lot more experience with contraptions that work versus contraptions that don't.

You're probably going to need two separate systems: one to raise and place the egg, another to move the cart.

They don't have to be completely separate - you could have a single spring as the "power", but it might be helpful to consider the two (more) actions as distinct in their tasks in terms of timing, duration, extension, etc..

BTW, something that might help you turning steady rotation into non-linear motion is a cam or two, like this:

Cam-disc-3_frontview_animated.gif

The great thing about cams is that they are easy to make, tweak and replace. Make em out of some easily trimmable material, like balsa or foamcore, and you can use trial and error to shave them in increments until you get exactly the motion you want.

Attachments

• Cam-disc-3_frontview_animated.gif
    Cam-disc-3_frontview_animated.gif
    286.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Cam-disc-3_frontview_animated.gif
    286.9 KB · Views: 514
Likes Sandro Romualdez
So an update to the situation, my physics professor told us that instead of having a table which the machine can fit under, the machine will have to go around the table as the table that will be used is one with storage levels underneath.

mfb said:
Something that can move downwards? You'll need some mechanism to lift the egg anyway, that could also go down again.
Since the machine doesn't have to move under the table anymore (See above), the mechanism can move up and stay in that position for the rest of the journey. Something like a forklift that rises above the table could possibly work.

DaveC426913 said:
You're probably going to need two separate systems: one to raise and place the egg, another to move the cart.

They don't have to be completely separate - you could have a single spring as the "power", but it might be helpful to consider the two (more) actions as distinct in their tasks in terms of timing, duration, extension, etc..
I did some research in spring powered moving contraptions and found a design that could work for the movement of the cart itself. I will test it out tomorrow. How do you suggest I might design the "arm" (The contraption that picks up the egg, raises it 1m and puts it on the table)? Thanks again for the help.

Sandro Romualdez said:
How do you suggest I might design the "arm" (The contraption that picks up the egg, raises it 1m and puts it on the table)? Thanks again for the help.
I would draw out the simplest motion practical that gets the egg from its start to its end.
It seems to me, based on the mechanisms we've discussed so far, that the motion you have the most access to is revolutionary. i.e. a 20" straight arm could rotate from horizontal to vertical, to deposit the egg on the table (so the cart would be 20" past the egg when it picked it up).There are innumerable arrangements, you'll want to think through a few to see what's feasible in terms of construction.

1. How does the self-contained egg tower device work?

The self-contained egg tower device works by utilizing principles of physics, specifically the distribution of weight and center of mass. The device is designed to hold an egg on top of a tower made of various materials and keep it from falling when the tower is tilted. This is achieved by carefully balancing the weight of the tower and the egg on top, so that the center of mass remains stable even when the tower is tilted.

2. What materials are needed to build a self-contained egg tower device?

The materials needed for this project include a sturdy base, such as a wooden board, various small objects for building the tower (e.g. popsicle sticks, straws, toothpicks), tape, scissors, and an egg. It is important to have a variety of materials to build the tower with, as different shapes and sizes can affect the stability of the tower and the distribution of weight.

3. What are some tips for building a successful self-contained egg tower device?

Some tips for building a successful self-contained egg tower device include carefully considering the distribution of weight and center of mass while building the tower, using a variety of materials to build the tower with, and making sure the base of the tower is wide enough to support the weight of the egg. It may also be helpful to test the tower by tilting it slightly before placing the egg on top to ensure it is stable.

4. Can the self-contained egg tower device be modified for different levels of difficulty?

Yes, the self-contained egg tower device can be modified for different levels of difficulty by changing the height of the tower or the weight of the egg. For a more challenging project, a taller tower can be built or a heavier egg can be used. It is important to keep in mind the principles of weight distribution and center of mass when making these modifications.

5. How can the self-contained egg tower device be related to real-life applications?

The concepts used in building a self-contained egg tower device, such as weight distribution and center of mass, are applicable in many real-life situations. For example, engineers use these principles when designing structures such as bridges and skyscrapers to ensure they can support their own weight and withstand external forces. This project can also demonstrate the importance of careful planning and problem-solving in scientific and engineering endeavors.