Building a Vacuum Oven: Help Needed w/ Heat Flow & High Temp Seals

• Thread starter ChaseRLewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a vacuum oven, reaching a temperature of 750-800 °F. The individual has questions about the heat flow and temperature distribution in the oven, as well as the use of high-temp polymer o-rings and an air tight seal for the door and quartz window. They also mention a project involving balancing two wheelers with gyroscopes and the concept of roll torque.
ChaseRLewis
I'm building a vacuum oven since I found an industrial highly corrosive resistant vacuum pump and a few boxes of the oil it needs all for about $50. I have the general outline of what I want to do, but I have a couple questions.

1. I plan on this oven reaching about 750-800 °F max on a central platform in the center. My thought is the vacuum shouldn't conduct much so I just have to worry about heat flow from the platform to the bottom of the oven. So that should keep the sides a bit cooler but I'm not 100% sure that's correct thinking and would like to calculate the max temperature the side of the oven and top of the oven would reach. Main reason for this is so I can determine if high-temp polymer o-rings can be used on certain sections. Don't have much of an idea of how to calculate that odd geometrical path of heat flow.

2. If polymer o-rings are out of the question I need an air tight seal on the door and quartz window. Any ideas? The pressure difference when opperating is only going to be about 14psi but I'm out of my expertise when dealing with high temp applications.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ChaseRLewis said:
1. I plan on this oven reaching about 750-800 °F max on a central platform in the center. My thought is the vacuum shouldn't conduct much

Don't forget about heat transfer by radiation. And for your mechanical design, don't forget that "only 14 psi" is the same as "nearly 1 ton per square foot".

Hi, am doing a project to balance two wheelers with gyroscopes..
i need to know what roll torque means and how it can be countered?

1. What is a vacuum oven and how does it work?

A vacuum oven is a specialized piece of equipment used in scientific research and industrial processes that require precise temperature control and low atmospheric pressure. It works by removing the air from the oven chamber, creating a vacuum which allows for more efficient heat transfer and prevents oxidation of materials being heated.

2. What factors should be considered when designing the heat flow in a vacuum oven?

When designing the heat flow in a vacuum oven, factors such as the size and shape of the oven, the type of heating element, and the material of the oven walls should be considered. It is important to ensure even heat distribution throughout the oven chamber to prevent hot spots and ensure accurate temperature control.

3. What materials are suitable for high temperature seals in a vacuum oven?

The most commonly used materials for high temperature seals in vacuum ovens are silicone rubber, Viton, and Kalrez. These materials have high temperature resistance and can withstand the low atmospheric pressure in the oven chamber. It is important to choose a seal material that is compatible with the materials being heated in the oven.

4. How can I prevent heat loss in a vacuum oven?

In order to prevent heat loss in a vacuum oven, it is important to have proper insulation in the oven walls. This can be achieved by using materials with low thermal conductivity, such as ceramic fibers or vacuum insulation panels. It is also important to regularly check and replace any damaged insulation to maintain the efficiency of the oven.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when operating a vacuum oven?

When operating a vacuum oven, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, as the oven can reach high temperatures. It is also important to monitor the oven closely and not leave it unattended. Regular maintenance and calibration of the oven should also be performed to ensure safe and accurate operation.