Building a Van de Graaff Generator: Tips and Considerations

In summary, the conversation discusses building a VDG (Van de Graaff) generator for personal reasons. The size of the collector can vary and the voltage depends on the distance between the dome and other conductors. A 15kv power supply is sufficient, even with a large collector, and increasing the current to 1mA may help. A 6-foot tall dome is believed to be tall enough to reach the desired voltage of 750,000 volts.
BhutJolokia
I am building one. Not for school but for personal reasons. Is anyone here familiar or has built one before? I have some questions such as can the collector be any size? The maxium voltage of the collector is generally .8(70000r) with r being the radius of the collector. I was wondering if I could use a 24 to 30 inch collector with a 15kv power supply, or do I need to bump it up?

Scatterd post I apologize.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can build a VDG any size you want. The voltage depends on the size of the dome but it also depends on the distance between the dome and other nearby conductors. It needs to be high enough above ground. If you want to use a power supply to spray the charge onto the belt the voltage you need is independant of the size of the VDG. 15 kV is more than enough. It should be able to supply a few ten µA.

Thanks man. I'm still looking for a dome but the one I am looking at will provide 750,000 volts. This is, of course, provided it is tall enough. I plan to make it roughly 6 feet tall, so I believe that is tall enough to get a high voltage. I may not reach the 750kv but I will get plenty regardless.

I was told if you increase the current from the power supply to 1mA it helps, even though (with leakage accounted for) you will not need anything near that. That's still to be determined.

Thanks for the reply man, I just wanted to make sure that even with a large enough collector 15kv would be enough to power this thing. (In reality, after the resistor and rectifier it comes out to about 10.5 kv.

Related to Building a Van de Graaff Generator: Tips and Considerations

What is a Van de Graaff generator?

A Van de Graaff generator is a device that is used to generate static electricity. It consists of a large metal sphere connected to a rubber belt that moves continuously and collects electric charge from a high-voltage source. This charge builds up on the sphere, creating a high voltage potential that can be used for experiments and demonstrations.

How does a Van de Graaff generator work?

A Van de Graaff generator works by using a motor to turn a rubber belt over two rollers, one of which is made of metal. The belt collects charge from a high-voltage source, such as an electrostatic generator, and carries it to the metal sphere at the top of the generator. The charge builds up on the sphere, creating a high voltage potential that can be used for experiments and demonstrations.

What are the practical uses of a Van de Graaff generator?

Van de Graaff generators have many practical uses in scientific research and experiments. They are commonly used in particle accelerators to generate high-energy particles for studying atomic and subatomic particles. They are also used in medical treatments, such as radiation therapy, and in electrostatic precipitation for air purification.

What safety precautions should be taken when using a Van de Graaff generator?

Van de Graaff generators can produce high voltages, which can be dangerous if mishandled. It is important to follow all safety precautions and instructions when using a Van de Graaff generator. This may include wearing protective gear, keeping a safe distance from the generator, and avoiding contact with the metal sphere or any other parts of the generator while it is in operation.

How can a Van de Graaff generator be used in educational settings?

Van de Graaff generators are popular in educational settings, as they can be used to demonstrate various principles of electricity and magnetism. They can be used to create lightning, make objects levitate, or make hair stand on end. They are also used in science museums and science fairs to engage and educate visitors about electricity and static charge.