Building an electric using a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of an electric motor, specifically a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor, for a mechanical engineering project. The motor must be submerged in oil and produce 8000W-10000W of heat. The question is whether an existing radiator can be used as a heat exchanger or if an engine oil cooler is needed. The system is also to be pressurized and will likely require a pump for proper flow. It is mentioned that the radiator may have too much restriction for the oil to flow properly, but there is no mechanical limitation to using it.
d_oliph
hi
im a mechanical engineering student, and we are building an electric using a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor, which is oil cooled. The motor must be submerged in oil that is then circulated... the motor will produce up to 8000W-10000W of heat. does anyone know if it would be possible to use the existing radiator as the heat exchanger or would an engine oil cooler be required. Also due to limited power availible could the fluid circulate by thermsyphon

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, D Oliph.
I suppose that it would depend primarily upon the consistency of the oil. A radiator made for water/glycol might have too much restriction in the passages for decent flow. Automatic transmission or engine oil coolers should work, but you might need more than one to dissipate enough heat.
This might be irrelevant, but is the system to be pressurized the way an engine coolant system is? If so, I don't think that oil or tranny coolers will handle it.

edit: Oops... I missed your last question until now. I'm pretty sure that you'll need a pump. You'll also have to match your oil lines to the radiator inlet and outlet ports, which will require a bit of brazing (unless you have huge lines all the way).

Last edited:
Every oil cooled generator I have ever seen has had a pressurized system. If you look through the numbers I think you'll see that you'll need a pump to get the flow required.

The passages in a radiator are pretty small. You would have to experiment with what kind of pressure drop you'll introduce by using it. Mechanically there's no real reason why you can't use it.

1. How does a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor work?

A 3 phase 40 hp AC motor works by using three alternating currents to create a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor's rotor, causing it to turn and generate mechanical power.

2. What are the advantages of using a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor in an electric car?

One of the main advantages of using a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor in an electric car is its high power output. This allows for faster acceleration and better performance compared to other types of motors. Additionally, 3 phase motors are more efficient and reliable, resulting in a longer lifespan for the electric car.

3. How do you build an electric car using a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor?

To build an electric car using a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor, you will need to first design the electric car's chassis and body. Then, you will need to source the necessary parts for the motor, battery, and control system. Finally, you will need to assemble all the components and program the control system to make the electric car operational.

4. Can a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor be used in any type of vehicle?

Yes, a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor can be used in a variety of vehicles, including electric cars, trucks, and even boats. As long as the motor is correctly sized and integrated into the vehicle's powertrain, it can provide efficient and powerful propulsion.

5. What are the maintenance requirements for a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor in an electric car?

The maintenance requirements for a 3 phase 40 hp AC motor in an electric car are minimal. These motors have fewer moving parts compared to traditional combustion engines, reducing the need for frequent maintenance. However, regular checks and servicing of the motor's cooling system and electrical connections are recommended to ensure optimal performance.