Building Overhead Hoist: Is 5"x5"x1/4" Wall Sufficient?

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of an overhead hoist in a shop using a 1/2 ton electric hoist and trolley. The design includes a 20' span and uses a W8x18.4 for support and 5"x5"x1/4" wall thickness for columns. Concerns are raised about the safety of the design and the qualifications of the builder. One participant suggests terminating the thread, while another jokingly suggests seeking a second opinion from a doctor.
Gulfstream550
TL;DR Summary
Overhead hoist system
Hello, I am in the process of building an over head hoist in my shop.I've already taken delivery of the metal, so I hope I erred on the side of safety. I am spanning 20' and will be using a 1/2 ton electric hoist and trolly. I found a chart online from Harrington Crane Co. That specified that a W8x18.4 would be sufficient . What I couldn[t find was what I needed for support. That said, I am using 5"x5"x1/4" wall thickness for the columns. Am I safe??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Um, you're posting on the Internet asking if your design is safe? What may be wrong with this picture? Will your 4 year old son be playing on the ground below the hoisted objects? :wink:

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Um, you're posting on the Internet asking if your design is safe? What may be wrong with this picture? Will your 4 year old son be playing on the ground below the hoisted objects? :wink:

Dang, I'm sorry, didn't mean to post in the washing machine repair thread. Bad me:)

LOL. What is your design/engineering background? Is the shop your personal garage or your work shop?

This is a dangerous thread and should the terminated. Anyone who has to ask such questions is by definition unqualified to make the design.

Likes berkeman
Dr.D said:
This is a dangerous thread and should the terminated. Anyone who has to ask such questions is by definition unqualified to make the design.
Done. Thank you for the second opinion, Doctor. :smile:

1. Is a 5"x5"x1/4" wall sufficient for building an overhead hoist?

It depends on the weight and load capacity of the hoist. A 5"x5"x1/4" wall can support a moderate amount of weight, but for heavier loads, a thicker and stronger wall may be necessary.

2. What factors should be considered when determining the wall thickness for an overhead hoist?

The weight and load capacity of the hoist, as well as the type of material used for the wall, should be taken into account. The height and length of the hoist, as well as the distance between support beams, can also affect the required wall thickness.

3. Can a thinner wall be used if additional support beams are added?

Adding support beams can help distribute the weight and reduce the strain on the wall, but it is still important to ensure that the wall is thick enough to support the weight of the hoist and its load.

4. What are some common materials used for building overhead hoists?

Steel, aluminum, and wood are commonly used materials for building overhead hoists. Steel is the strongest and most durable option, while aluminum is lighter and more corrosion-resistant. Wood can also be used for smaller hoists, but may not be as strong as metal options.

5. Is it necessary to consult with an engineer when building an overhead hoist?

It is recommended to consult with an engineer when building an overhead hoist, especially for larger and heavier hoists. They can help determine the appropriate wall thickness and materials, as well as ensure that the hoist is safely and securely installed.