Building speakers, induction and induced current

In summary, the conversation discusses making a speaker using a cup, wire, and magnet, and the use of equations to improve its sound. The topics of impedance, flux, and measuring magnet strength are also mentioned, as well as using a motor and magnet to create an AC current. The conversation suggests searching for "DIY speakers" for more specific help, and mentions a helpful article on box volume equations for subwoofers. It is also suggested to focus on using a less massive coil and cone, and a more massive and powerful magnet to achieve a more powerful sound.
Porter22
i made a speaker from a cup, a coil of wire and a magnet. I hooked up both of the ends of the wire to a headphone jack and it works. Albeit very low sound, but it works.

Can you point me in the direction of some equations that will show me the most influential factors on how to make it louder? I've been also looking at impedance and their effect at high and low frequencies. I know my differential equations so lay it on me if you can.

I would like to know more about Φ(flux), too.
How can I measure the strength of a magnet?

I'm playing around with creating small ac current by spinning a motor with a magnet on it inside a coil... pretty simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
The search term " DIY speakers" gives lots of hits, both web and YouTube. I bet you can get more specific help from those sources.

You don't need complicated equations for your stated goal
more powerful less massive coil and cone
more massive and more powerful magnet

What is the process of building speakers?

The process of building speakers involves several steps. First, the design and specifications of the speaker are determined. Then, the necessary components such as the speaker cone, voice coil, magnet, and circuit board are assembled. The speaker cone is attached to the voice coil, which is placed within the magnetic field of the magnet. Finally, the speaker is connected to an amplifier and tested for sound quality.

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around it. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in 1831 and is the basis for many electrical devices such as generators and transformers.

How is induced current different from direct current (DC)?

Induced current is produced by electromagnetic induction, whereas direct current is produced by a constant flow of electrons in one direction. Induced current can be either AC or DC depending on the type of induction, while DC is always in one direction. Induced current can also be controlled and manipulated through changes in the magnetic field or conductor, while DC remains constant.

What factors affect the strength of an induced current?

The strength of induced current depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor is moving through the field, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field. Additionally, the number of turns in the conductor and the resistance of the circuit can also affect the strength of the induced current.

How is induced current used in everyday technology?

Induced current has numerous applications in everyday technology. It is used in generators to produce electricity, in transformers to increase or decrease voltage, and in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. Inductors and inductive sensors also use induced current to measure and control electrical signals in various devices.