Reversing the Faraday effect to get an induced current

In summary: This is an antenna - it generates a current by interacting with an EM wave. There is definitely research on making antennas small enough to interact with light, such as this article.
romeo17
Hi all!
I was thinking if it is possible to revert the Faraday effect.
If I have a magnetic field, it interacts with EM wave (light) by changing its polarisation.

Can I got a variable magnetic field interacting with polarised light so that I can get induced current in a coil?

I can understand it is something similar to Nantenna, and I can understand that I need nano coils which are difficult to realize but I was thinking more to utilize special materials as mean (or crystals) to be at the right wave length to get induced current in a coil.

Is there any research in this? any link to suggest to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not just "something similar to" an antenna, it is an antenna. This is what an antenna does - it generates a current by interacting with an EM wave. There is certainly research on making antennas small enough to interact with light, such as this article.

romeo17 said:
Hi all!
I was thinking if it is possible to revert the Faraday effect.
If I have a magnetic field, it interacts with EM wave (light) by changing its polarisation.

Can I got a variable magnetic field interacting with polarised light so that I can get induced current in a coil?

I can understand it is something similar to Nantenna, and I can understand that I need nano coils which are difficult to realize but I was thinking more to utilize special materials as mean (or crystals) to be at the right wave length to get induced current in a coil.

Is there any research in this? any link to suggest to me?
Faraday Effect is when we apply a very strong magnetic field to a transparent material and observe a slight rotation of polarisation. The reverse process does not seem likely due to the relative energies involved. On the other hand, as has been mentioned, we can use receiving antennas which are similar in size to the wavelength, including coils, to extract energy from an EM wave. I think a difficulty with optical frequencies is making low loss transmission lines for the received power.

Thanks both for the kind answers and article.

Well, I was thinking to have coils thickness at microwaves/infrared wavelenght (micro-antenna), not at UV (nano-antenna).
I read that the issue with Nantenna are technological 1. nano-structures difficult to manufacture 2. diods are too slow to produce direct current at high frequency

If there is a crystal that absorbes UV and issue micro/infrared waves (luminescence) it should induce current in micro coils.
I think it should be properly polarized to maximize the delta flux in the coil.

I was wandering if someone of you know some research/article on this specific matter.

1. What is the Faraday effect?

The Faraday effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field can induce a change in the polarization of light passing through a material.

2. How can the Faraday effect be reversed?

The Faraday effect can be reversed by applying an external magnetic field in the opposite direction to the original field that caused the polarization change.

3. What is an induced current?

An induced current is a flow of electric charge that is created by a changing magnetic field. This current can be used to power electronic devices or perform other useful tasks.

4. How can the Faraday effect be used to generate an induced current?

The Faraday effect can be used to generate an induced current by placing a material with a strong Faraday effect in a changing magnetic field. The changing field will cause a change in polarization, which in turn will induce a current in the material.

5. What are some potential applications of reversing the Faraday effect to get an induced current?

This technique can be used in various technologies, such as optical communication systems, sensors, and magnetic storage devices. It can also be used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).