Buoyancy and helium balloons

In summary, to find the diameter of a helium filled balloon that will float with neutral buoyancy, you need to use the ideal gas law to get the density of air and helium, and use the formula V = (4/3)π r^3 to calculate the volume of the balloon. Then, use the formula FB = (density)(gravity)(Volume) to find the weight of the air displaced and set it equal to the weight of the balloon. Lastly, solve for the radius and multiply by 2 to get the diameter.
TR1

Homework Statement

What diameter must a helium filled balloon have to float with neutral buoyancy? The mass of the empty balloon is 2 g.

Homework Equations

FB = (density)(gravity)(Volume)
Volume of balloon = 4/3(4.13)r^2
Density = mass/Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the balloon will float when its weight is equal to the weight of the air displaced.
Weight of balloon = Weight of air displaced
Weight of empty balloon = 0.002kg x 9.81 = 0.01962N
Thus weight of air displaced = 0.01962N
But this is a far as I am getting as I am very confused with where the density plays a roles since no densities is given in this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've overlooked a contributor to the weight of the balloon.
You do need facts concerning gas densities. Assume atmospheric pressure.

TR1 said:

Homework Statement

What diameter must a helium filled balloon have to float with neutral buoyancy? The mass of the empty balloon is 2 g.

Homework Equations

Density = mass/Volume

I know that the balloon will float when its weight is equal to the weight of the air displaced.
But this is a far as I am getting as I am very confused with where the density plays a roles since no densities is given in this problem.
Use the ideal gas law to get the density of air (and helium if you think that will be significant compared to the balloon weight).

Chet

TR1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Density = mass/Volume

Your formula for the volume of the balloon is incorrect.

V = (4/3)π r3 (yes, r cubed, not r squared)

and π ≈ 3.14159 ..., not 4.13

1. How do helium balloons float?

Helium balloons float because helium is less dense than air. This means that the helium inside the balloon is lighter than the air outside, causing the balloon to rise and float in the air.

2. Why do helium balloons eventually lose their buoyancy and fall?

Over time, the helium gas inside the balloon will slowly leak out through tiny pores in the balloon material. As the amount of helium decreases, the balloon becomes heavier and eventually the weight of the balloon is greater than the surrounding air, causing it to fall.

3. Can any gas be used to fill a balloon and make it float?

No, not all gases are less dense than air and therefore not all gases can make a balloon float. Helium, hydrogen, and hot air are commonly used gases for floating balloons because they are lighter than air.

4. How do weather conditions affect the buoyancy of helium balloons?

Weather conditions such as temperature, air pressure, and humidity can all affect the buoyancy of helium balloons. For example, cold air is denser than warm air, so a helium balloon will sink in colder temperatures. Low air pressure at high altitudes can also cause helium balloons to expand and potentially pop.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using helium balloons?

Yes, there are some safety concerns with using helium balloons. Helium is a non-toxic gas, but if inhaled in large quantities it can cause dizziness or lightheadedness. Additionally, if a helium balloon is released outdoors, it can become tangled in power lines or cause harm to wildlife. It is important to always handle and dispose of helium balloons responsibly.