Buoyancy force on a steel boat

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum height of the sides of a steel boat to float in calm water. The solution involves finding the weight of the boat and the weight of the displaced water, and setting them equal to each other. Solving for the minimum height, the answer is approximately 0.398 meters.
aa1515

Homework Statement

The bottom of a steel "boat" is a 7.00 m x 8.00 m x 5.00 cm piece of steel (rho-steel=7900 kg/m^3.) The sides are made of 0.540 cm-thick steel.

What minimum height must the sides have for this boat to float in perfectly calm water

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the water displaced must equal the weight of the boat. Then the volume of that water displaced will equal the volume of the boat. But for whatever reason I am still not getting the correct answer. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your line of thinking is correct. Please show your work out.

I'm having trouble with this one too.

I figure, the weight of the boat is equal to the weight of the bottom plus the weight of the sides. However, one thing that is unclear is if the sides are added to the very end of the bottom, or if they are placed on top. In the later case the height of the sides, h, would really be h+thickness of the bottom? Anywho, let's say that:

Weight of boat = Vbottom*rho*g + Vsides*rho*g = 7*8*.05*7900*9.8 + (2h*7*.0054+2h*8*.0054)*7900*9.8

Weight of displaced water = Vboat*rho*g = 7*8*(h+.05)*1000*9.8

where h is the height we are looking for. Setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for h, I get h = .398. Is this correct?

Thank for your help.

Related to Buoyancy force on a steel boat

1. What is buoyancy force?

Buoyancy force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it, which counteracts the weight of the object and allows it to float.

2. How does the buoyancy force on a steel boat compare to that of a wooden boat?

The buoyancy force on a steel boat is greater than that of a wooden boat because steel has a higher density than wood, meaning it displaces more water and experiences a greater upward force.

3. How is buoyancy force related to the weight and volume of a steel boat?

Buoyancy force is directly proportional to the weight and volume of a steel boat. As the weight or volume of the boat increases, so does the buoyancy force.

4. Can the buoyancy force on a steel boat be affected by its shape?

Yes, the shape of a steel boat can impact the buoyancy force. A boat with a wider or more curved hull will displace more water and experience a greater buoyancy force compared to a boat with a narrow or flat hull.

5. How does the density of the water affect the buoyancy force on a steel boat?

The density of the water does not directly affect the buoyancy force on a steel boat, but it does impact the amount of water the boat displaces. In denser water, the boat will displace less water and therefore experience a slightly lower buoyancy force.