Buoyancy of a sealed hemisphere underwater

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of buoyant force on a hemisphere shape submerged in water. The participants consider the possibility of a net downward force due to pressure vectors always being perpendicular to the surface, but ultimately conclude that there is a net upward force due to Archimedes' principle. They also discuss the difference in buoyant force when the hemisphere is sealed to the bottom and when it is closed off with a disc. The conversation ends with a question about the double integral of pressure and area for a submerged ball with varying pressure due to depth.
Nathan B

Homework Statement

You have a hemisphere, like half a ping pong ball for example, sitting in a cup under a few centimeters of water. The hemisphere is sealed to the bottom so that no water can get underneath it. What is the buoyant force the hemisphere experiences?

Homework Equations

P = P0 + ρgh

The Attempt at a Solution

So the hemisphere displaces water, which would lead me to believe that there would be an upward buoyant force on the object, but as I understand it force vectors due to pressure are always perpendicular to the surface, leading me to think there would be a net downward force. Which is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nathan B said:

Homework Statement

You have a hemisphere, like half a ping pong ball for example, sitting in a cup under a few centimeters of water. The hemisphere is sealed to the bottom so that no water can get underneath it. What is the buoyant force the hemisphere experiences?

Homework Equations

P = P0 + ρgh

The Attempt at a Solution

So the hemisphere displaces water, which would lead me to believe that there would be an upward buoyant force on the object, but as I understand it force vectors due to pressure are always perpendicular to the surface, leading me to think there would be a net downward force. Which is it?
Archimedes' principle only applies to bodies for which the portion below the surface of the fluid is completely surrounded by it. As you note, if the fluid is unable to reach some of that then the buoyant force may be different.
In the present case, can you think of a way to calculate how much less?

Likes conscience
Hello haruspex ,

haruspex said:
As you note, if the fluid is unable to reach some of that then the buoyant force is less.

Is there any buoyant force at all ?

Assuming it is a thin spherical shell and water is absent on the concave side , I believe water pushes the shell down .Even if air at atmospheric pressure is present beneath the shell , and assuming the fluid is exposed to atmosphere , water still exerts a net downward force on the shell .

haruspex said:
You can calculate how much less by considering what the pressure of the fluid on the base would be if it could reach it.

For that we need radius of the concave side .

conscience said:
Is there any buoyant force at all ?
The net force will be downward in this case, but for, say, a sphere with a cap removed there may still be a net upward force. Regarding the second as buoyant and the first as not conforms with everyday usage, but in a scientific context I feel it is more useful to allow that a "buoyant" force can be net downward.
conscience said:
No. Would the net force be any different if we were to close off the hemisphere with a disc?

haruspex said:
No. Would the net force be any different if we were to close off the hemisphere with a disc?

If hemisphere is closed with a circular disc such that water is beneath the disk , there would be a net upward force on the disk given by P(πr2) .P is pressure at the bottom of water .

In case disk is not present and water is allowed to be present on the concave side , we need to integrate . For calculating the force exerted by water on the concave side we would require it's radius .

conscience said:
If hemisphere is closed with a circular disc such that water is beneath the disk , there would be a net upward force on the disk given by P(πr2) .P is pressure at the bottom of water .
There would be that force, but that would not be the net force. What would the net force be?
conscience said:
In case disk is not present and water is allowed to be present on the concave side , we need to integrate
No, just apply Archimedes' principle.

haruspex said:
No, just apply Archimedes' principle.

If there is a hemispherical shell completely submerged in water then the net upward force due to water will be equal to the weight of volume of water displaced by it . Isn't volume of shell (2/3)(πR13 - πR23 ) . R2 is inner radius .

conscience said:
If there is a hemispherical shell completely submerged in water then the net upward force due to water will be equal to the weight of volume of water displaced by it . Isn't volume of shell (2/3)(πR13 - πR23 ) . R2 is inner radius .
Right.

haruspex said:
Right.

But this is what I said earlier to which you objected :smile:
conscience said:

haruspex said:
No

conscience said:
But this is what I said earlier to which you objected :smile:
Look at my post #6 carefully. What, exactly, did I say no to?

Likes conscience
haruspex said:
Look at my post #6 carefully. What, exactly, did I say no to?

Oops ! I misunderstood you . You objected to the integration . I thought you said inner radius was not required :smile: .

Follow up question from reading the responses, if you did have a submerged ball with variable pressure due to depth what would the double integral of pressure and area look like? The area part would be ∫2πrdr, but how about pressure varying with depth?

Nathan B said:
Follow up question from reading the responses, if you did have a submerged ball with variable pressure due to depth what would the double integral of pressure and area look like? The area part would be ∫2πrdr, but how about pressure varying with depth?
You would be integrating force, a vector, so you have to take direction into account. Archimedes' Principle is a very effective shortcut when it can be applied.
Can you answer my question in post #2?

In answer to your question, the difference could be calculated by subtracting the for force due to pressure on the underside if it were submerged. In other words, there is no buoyant force in the the traditional sense, there's just the force due to gravity (causing pressure) above it.

Nathan B said:
In answer to your question, the difference could be calculated by subtracting the for force due to pressure on the underside if it were submerged. In other words, there is no buoyant force in the the traditional sense, there's just the force due to gravity (causing pressure) above it.
That's right. For a body of volume V, dry base area A, on a level floor at depth h, the net upward force from the fluid is ρg(V-Ah). For the case in this question that would be negative, but for a narrow-based body could still be positive.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How does the shape of a submerged object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of a submerged object affects its buoyancy because it determines the amount of fluid displaced by the object. In the case of a sealed hemisphere, the shape allows for more fluid to be displaced, resulting in a greater buoyant force.

3. Why does a sealed hemisphere sink in water?

A sealed hemisphere sinks in water because its weight is greater than the buoyant force exerted on it by the water. This is due to the density of the hemisphere being greater than the density of water.

4. What role does the volume of the sealed hemisphere play in its buoyancy?

The volume of the sealed hemisphere plays a crucial role in its buoyancy. As mentioned before, the more volume an object displaces, the greater the buoyant force. In the case of a sealed hemisphere, the volume is determined by its radius and the thickness of its walls.

5. How does the depth of the water affect the buoyancy of a sealed hemisphere?

The depth of the water does not affect the buoyancy of a sealed hemisphere, as long as the entire hemisphere is fully submerged. However, if the hemisphere is only partially submerged, the depth of the water will play a role in the buoyant force, as it affects the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the hemisphere.