Buoyant Force, How's my logic?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the density difference between the inside and outside air of a hot air balloon in order to keep it floating level near the ground. The equation used is the buoyant force equation, where the volume, density, and gravitational force are taken into account. The solution presented in the conversation is correct, but there are some errors in the labeling and explanation. To correctly solve the problem, an unknown density for the outside air needs to be introduced, and the density of the hot air needs to be written in terms of this unknown density. This allows for the unknown density to be canceled out in the buoyant force equation, leading to the correct solution.
hanag

Homework Statement

A recreational (open) hot air balloon (i.e., Pinside is approximately Poutside) has a volume of 2107 m3 when fully inflated. The total weight of the balloon, basket, ballast and pilot is 1832.6 N (412 lbs). By how much must the density of the air in the balloon be smaller than that of the surrounding atmosphere in order to keep the balloon floating level near the ground?

Homework Equations

Buoyant force= volume x g x rho

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the right solution, but it was explained much differently in class (much more complicated), and I didn't even use all the values given in the problem. I'm not sure if my logic is correct.

I figured that the buoyant force must be equal to gravity because the balloon is not accelerating.
v x rho x g = m x g

2107 m^3 x rho x g= 1832.6 N
2107 m^3 x rho = 187 kg
difference in rho= 0.0888 kg/m^3

Does what I did make any sense at all? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The logic is a little loose even though the answer is probably right.
You label the density by rho in the buoyant force. And then you change the meaning to a density difference. This is not good practice and is missing some steps.

So how would I go about doing this the right way? I don't even know where to start.

hanag said:
So how would I go about doing this the right way? I don't even know where to start.
Put in an unknown density for the cold outside air, ##\rho_c##, and write the thing you want to find, the difference, as ##\Delta \rho##. In terms of those write the density of the hot air. Then write an expression for the buoyant force in terms of those, and observe the cancellation of the unknown ##\rho_c##.

Your logic is correct. The buoyant force must be equal to the weight of the balloon and its contents in order for it to float at a constant level. In order to find the density difference between the air in the balloon and the surrounding atmosphere, you correctly used the equation for buoyant force and set it equal to the weight of the balloon and its contents. You then solved for the density difference, which is the correct approach. Your solution is also consistent with the given values in the problem, so it seems like you have a solid understanding of the concept of buoyant force. Good job!

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is a force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or completely submerged in it. It is directed upwards and is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

2. How does buoyant force work?

Buoyant force works by pushing upwards on an object that is submerged in a fluid. This is due to the pressure differences between the top and bottom of the object. The greater the volume of the object submerged, the greater the buoyant force will be.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force?

The buoyant force is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. The greater the density of the fluid, the greater the buoyant force. The greater the volume of the object submerged, the greater the buoyant force. The acceleration due to gravity also affects the buoyant force as it determines the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

4. How is buoyant force related to Archimedes' principle?

Buoyant force is directly related to Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that is displaced by the object. This principle helps explain why objects float or sink in a fluid.

5. How can I calculate the buoyant force on an object?

The buoyant force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the object submerged and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula is Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.