Burning fossil fuels math problem

• Thread starter courtneywetts
  • Start date
In summary, In order to calculate how much fossil fuel is burned each year, a person would need to know how many MJ are generated by 1kg of fuel, how long it takes for 1kg to move, and how many kg are burned in a year.
courtneywetts

Homework Statement

Humankind uses about 500 EJ of energy each year nearly all of it from fossil fuels. If the energy content of fossil fuels is 40 MJ/kg estimate the total mass of fossil fuels we burn each year.

Homework Equations

I am not sure if this is a relevant equation but in my textbook there is a similar example showing the energy content of divided by the total thermal power extracted measured in MJ/kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know if I'm doing any of this right but I thought I needed to convert the 500 EJ into MJ. I got 5 x 10^14.

This problem is talking about a year while the textbook shows per second. Do I need to convert to seconds in a year? If so i got 31, 536,000 seconds. Not sure if I even needed to do this...

I have no idea if I even started this problem right or where to go from here if I have?

Physics news on Phys.org
courtneywetts said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know if I'm doing any of this right but I thought I needed to convert the 500 EJ into MJ. I got 5 x 10^14.

This problem is talking about a year while the textbook shows per second. Do I need to convert to seconds in a year? If so i got 31, 536,000 seconds. Not sure if I even needed to do this...

I have no idea if I even started this problem right or where to go from here if I have?
The conversion is done right, And it was necessary to do that. It doesn't matter if the answer comes out in years or seconds, it would be the same. But since the textbook has the answer in terms of seconds it is better to do it that way.
Now given that human kind consumes 5×1014MJ per 31,536,000 seconds what would be the consumption for 1 second?
To find out the amount of fossil fuel consumed:
40 MJ of the energy is got by 1kg of the fuel, how much for X MJ (the answer you have got from above)
Regards

courtneywetts said:
This problem is talking about a year while the textbook shows per second. Do I need to convert to seconds in a year?
Converting to seconds is making the problem much more complicated than necessary. You know how many MJ a year are generated, and you know how many MJ are generated by 1 kg. It's a very simple operation to determine the number of kgs/year.

haruspex said:
Converting to seconds is making the problem much more complicated than necessary. You know how many MJ a year are generated, and you know how many MJ are generated by 1 kg. It's a very simple operation to determine the number of kgs/year.

If there are 5 x 10 ^14 MJ in a year and 40 MJ/kg then would I just divide?

courtneywetts said:
If there are 5 x 10 ^14 MJ in a year and 40 MJ/kg then would I just divide?

Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

I did this and got 1.24 x 10 ^13 kg/yr.

The answer in the back of the book is 12 billion tones/yr.

I am not sure how this answer was gotten... or what step I would need to do next to get this answer.

1 tone= 1000 kg
1 billion = 10^9 (in the US).

nasu said:
1 tone= 1000 kg
1 billion = 10^9 (in the US).

I am confused as to what I am supposed to do with this?

To show that the two results are the same (pretty much).

The second part of this question says assume that each kilogram of fuel has to be move 1000 km from its source to where it's burned at an average speed of 20 km per hour. Estimate the total mass of fuel that must be in transit at a given time.

I am not sure how to start this problem...or what formula to use.

courtneywetts said:
The second part of this question says assume that each kilogram of fuel has to be move 1000 km from its source to where it's burned at an average speed of 20 km per hour. Estimate the total mass of fuel that must be in transit at a given time.

I am not sure how to start this problem...or what formula to use.
How long does each bit of fuel spend moving? How many kg must reach their destination in that time?

haruspex said:
How long does each bit of fuel spend moving? How many kg must reach their destination in that time?

I really don't know what you mean by this. What number should I be starting with?

What are fossil fuels?

Fossil fuels are natural resources formed from the remains of plants and animals that lived millions of years ago. They include coal, oil, and natural gas.

How are fossil fuels burned?

Fossil fuels are burned in power plants and engines to produce energy. This energy is then used to power homes, vehicles, and industries.

Why is burning fossil fuels a problem?

Burning fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change and air pollution. It also depletes finite resources and can have negative impacts on local ecosystems.

How can we calculate the impact of burning fossil fuels?

The impact of burning fossil fuels can be calculated by determining the amount of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases emitted, as well as the amount of energy produced. This can be done through various mathematical equations and models.

What are some alternatives to burning fossil fuels?

Some alternatives to burning fossil fuels include renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydropower. These sources do not emit greenhouse gases and are considered more sustainable options for energy production.